Need MAJOR help with router issues

ton2471

Beta member
Hello everyone. I have been trying to find an answer all over the internet, but have come up short so far. Hopefully someone here will be able to give me some good advice.

---My problem---
My ISP is Comcast, and a few years ago they gave us a router to use for our cable internet (the model is Netgear CG814WG). Everything has been fine until a few months ago when some of our computers were frequently disconnecting (five or six times a day). According to our laptops/desktops, it said that the PCs are connected to the router, but the router was not able to connect to the internet (also mentioned something about not being able to contact DNS server, I forget).

Even with all these frequent disconnections, we would still get through eventually. But today when I came home from work and booted up my laptop (which is always around 10 or 20 feet away from the router), it would not even connect to the router. This happened also with the other laptop in the house and a desktop that runs with a wireless network adapter.

Now, before I go on any further, let me explain the situation in the house. There is one desktop directly connected to the router via Ethernet cable. There is one desktop 30 feet away that connects with a wireless network adapter. There is one laptop 10 feet away that has its own built in wireless network adapter, and there is another laptop on the other side of the house with the same build. All these computers have worked at various other places (Starbucks, university, etc) without any problems. So I conclude that it is not any the computer's faults.

As of now I am giving all the blame to the router. The two laptops, including the one desktop, are all right now connected directly to the router via Ethernet cables, and they have perfect internet, but the second I try them out with just wireless, they are unable to connect.

-----My solution-----
1) Buy a new router
2) Call a Comcast rep and ask for one of their workers to come out and help us directly.

I want to avoid the latter because they'll probably give me a big fat service charge.

----My questions----
1) If I buy a new wireless cable router, do I have to buy directly from Comcast or can I go to Bestbuy/Walmart and buy one from there? If so, is it easy to set up?
2) Do you think this is the right way to go? Could there be another reason why my internet experience is failing?

Thank you for reading my novel and hopefully we can get some discussion going.

Have you tried a hard reset? Turn off all computers. Unplug the modem and router from the power. Then power up the modem, wait until the activity lights are stable, power up the router, wait until it's ready. Then boot the computers and re-establish a connection.

If the router is faulty, you can take it into the office for a replacement or call them and they should come out and replace for free since you are "renting" it from them.

You can buy a wireless router from Bestbuy or Walmart and use it with their service. I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS with our Comcast connection.

Hmm...I've tried something similar to a hard reset, but I'm a little confused about one thing. You said I should turn off modem and router, but all I have is that router. So I'm a little confused...should I have a modem as well? Comcast only gave us that Netgear router.

Tomorrow we're going to a Comcast store in town and ask if they can give us a new router to try out. Hopefully this might work.

My bad. I had forgotten that the unit that Comcrap gives you is an all in one modem/router. Forget all that then. :eek:

If you did buy a new router from from Bestbuy or walmart, you would also need to purchase a modem.

Good luck at the Comcast store. :D

Have fun finding a combo modem/router! Like you I have confusedcast here where the modem they provided would only connect by usb not by the ethernet. Once I grabbed a new Motorola and plugged into the nic card along with setting the network and sharing options in the Control Panel to private not work or public the connection was instant.

The trouble now seen is trying to add a separate router in where nothing happens. The best advice besides comcast's 24/7 support is actually calling the toll free phone number for the manufacturer and have their own tech staff go over things would you. That I'll end up doing here for both Linksys and another router by ZyCel to see which one will work.

If you are paying for the networking by comcast go through them first however since they have to maintain any network setup. When first ordering and answering quesions you are asked if you already "own your own" modem or need to rent. You can buy from wherever you want and simply plug it in. Their prices for buying throug them are steep!

Back
Top Bottom