Need help with windows 7 installation on driveless laptop.

joe C said:
sounds like windows is attempting to install the boot loader on the usb. Windows has a nasty habit of placing the boot files on another drive.
After you remove all the existing partitions, create a new partition but just before you create the new partition, un-plug the usb and after it's done making the partitions you should see a separate 100 mb partition along with the partition to install windows onto.
Which is why I like to use diskpart, so it doesn't even make the 100MB partition in the first place.

Which is why I like to use diskpart, so it doesn't even make the 100MB partition in the first place.

The 100MB partition gets made either way, no matter what, with Win7 upon install. That's where the bootloader info is stored. It's just that if you have 2 HDD's, and one is larger than the other, it tends to put the boot partition on the larger drive rather than the primary drive you selected to install Windows on. Which is why it's always suggested to unplug any secondary drives until after you install Windows.

I've tried everything. I tried taking out the usb before starting installation, didn't work. I also tried taking it out after I get to the drive menu, didn't work either. It always gives me either one of the two errors.

Update: I got my hands on an external dvd drive and burned and installation diskand am getting the same problems. When ever I make a new partition, windows only makes one, it doesn't make two or three like I've seen in some videos.

Last edited:
Update: I got my hands on an external dvd drive and burned an installation and am getting the same problems. When ever I make a new partition, windows only makes one, it doesn't make two or three like I've seen in some videos.

Why would it make 2 or 3?

If you merge all partitions together, and select to install Windows on that partition, it will automatically make the 100mb boot partition without you needing to do anything. It won't show that in the disk selection step.

Why would it make 2 or 3?

If you merge all partitions together, and select to install Windows on that partition, it will automatically make the 100mb boot partition without you needing to do anything. It won't show that in the disk selection step.

Oh, okay. Well, it's still doing the same thing as before regardless. It just won't let me install.

Did you burn the disc from the same source as the flash drive? Maybe your ISO is corrupt.

Back
Top Bottom