Need help with Telnet remote connectivity

Hydra50

Beta member
Greetings.

I am relatively new to networking and IT in general, so this may seem like an easy question. Basically, I am trying to access the telnet service on my router remotely but have been unsuccessful thus far. I am able to connect to telnet on my routers IP when I am on my own home network, but when I try to connect from an external network the connection just times out.

I am using a Kali Linux VM, connected to wifi via a USB adapter. When I connect to my home network, I use terminal and type 'telnet (my gateway IP)' and it prompts me for the username and password. I can log in fine. But when I use my public IP (found using a website from google) and I also specify the port number, the connection just times out.

I have enabled telnet on my router firewall settings (incoming and outgoing traffic) and have also forwarded my telnet port in my router settings to the routers IP address. Not really sure where to go from here. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

You DO NOT want to even be able to access the router with telnet via the internet, this is a massive security risk! you should just about have an open SSH port (normally it should only be opened when needed and closed after that).

That said, you need to enable remote administration access for telnet on the router.. maybe just google to find the router interface manual.

Your Router needs to be able to support this feature, so might not be possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom