Need help with purchase

DebraTheTrainer

Beta member
Hey guys. I own a small business and am in need of a desktop for the office. I need the ability to access the internet (hardwire) for all our scheduling needs and email access. Also need to be able to use Microsoft Office (word, excel and Outlook). Employees may use the computer to listen to online classes and such but not much more than that. I currently have 1 laptop for the business using Windows 7 Professional.

Would Windows 7 Home 32 bit be adequate?
4 GB RAM?
Don't need a lot of hard drive space as we don't use many applications. We just store documents we create for clients. Need to maintain copies of client communications. This is usually a couple of documents when we start (excel and word - 3-4 pages worth) and then maybe updates every 4-6 weeks which may be as complicated as 4 pages in an excel spreadsheet (very few equations). Mostly text.

We store forms we use frequently - contracts, client tracking sheets, etc.

What should I get and what should I expect to pay?

Thanks for the help.

Where are you located? US? Elsewhere?
What are you looking to spend in total?
Do you need a monitor as well?

Building a computer is probably not what you're looking to do (but would be fun!). So here's a couple of computers for your perusal... I made some assumptions as to the above quesitons. (These are for U.S. Purchases so if you're outside the U.S. please post back)

ThinkCentre A58(7522P2U) Pentium E5300(2.60GHz) 3GB DDR2 320GB Intel GMA X4500 Windows 7 Professional: $494.99

Acer Aspire AX3400-U2012 Athlon II X3 435(2.9GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB NVIDIA GeForce 9200 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit: $459.99

The second option would be my first choice, although, if you go here, on the left hand side you'll see a price category where you can select a price range that you're willing to pay. With Windows 7, I wouldn't necessarily say that 4GB is required, you could realistically get away with two, but I would suggest 3 at least. This is also near maximum that Windows 7 32 Bit can recognize so going over that amount doesn't make sense either. If you get a desktop with a 64 bit operating system, then you can splurge on RAM.
However, given the requirements you described, either one of the systems above will work, or you can select a system on Newegg based on the price you're willing to pay.

I am in the US. Is Acer a good machine? I've heard of it but hear more about HP, Dell, etc. This looks like I would have to buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse seperate. Is that correct?

In my experience, Acer's are great Machines. They're slowly becoming a major name brand, but haven't hit the common household name status as of yet. HP, Dell, Gateway... these are the more common names and may be the 'safer' way to go. Not saying that Acer isn't a trustworthy name, but I haven't had much experience with their customer care department (never had a faulty product!), so for the sake of making a suggestion to a business, I will oblige. Please note, however, that you'll be paying for the Dell name.

DELL Optiplex 380MT(468-7476) Core 2 Duo E7500(2.93GHz) 4GB DDR3 250GB Intel GMA 4500 Windows 7 Professional 32-bit: $614.99

HP Pavilion Slimline S5510F (BQ466AA#ABA) Athlon II X2 240(2.8GHz) 3GB DDR2 640GB NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit: $439.99

For whichever machine you get, here's a monitor or two:

Samsung BX2035 20'' 2ms 1600x900 LED-BackLight LCD monitor Slim Design 250cd/m2: $159.99
Or
ASUS VW193DR Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000 :1 (ASCR): $109.99

You may not have heard of ASUS, but they're a very reliable brand. Also, yes, you will need a keyboard and mouse if you get a machine without one. I believe two of the ones I linked come with a Keyboard/Mouse but others do not.

I am in the US. Is Acer a good machine? I've heard of it but hear more about HP, Dell, etc. This looks like I would have to buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse seperate. Is that correct?

I would go with asus and never trust brands i remember yesterday i compared the best sony VAIO with the asus gameing laptop

asus 1.5k

Sony Vaio amoust 4 k

Asus has better everything i think

Found it

Link This is ASUS Laptop For Gameing

Link This is Sonys Piece of Sh*t

Ok ASUS Has a 5870M While the sony has a gt 330 ASUS>Sony

Ok lets just skip everything ASUS wins in every thing except hard drive Because sony has a ssd. Sony laptop is not worth 2.7k. Link This is a top of the line ssd 630$ it does not have as much space but 100% sure has way better read and write speeds.Who uses more then 200gbs i know not me because i clean harddrive normaly unless you encode vids for youtube i dont see how you get 200gb of stuff. Replace hard drive with this and it is still less then sony.

SONY F*CK YOU For ripping off all my friends because they TRUST you brand.

Ty for reading my rage rant.

-------------------------------------------------------------But one thing dude
Because your a businessman you might want a Sony VAIO (People see you have a sony VAIO raises your status)

Back
Top Bottom