Need help with possibly faulty hard drive

mikee

Fully Optimized
I have 2 hard droves in my computer right now a 120Gb western digital ide drive and a 1.5 tb seagate drive for files. I recently updated the firmware on my seagate to fix a problem where the hard drive would make a click sound and blue screen. However I just ran into the same problem again so I'm starting to think it is the older 120gb hdd. I used seatools and the 1.5tb drive passed all the tests. I ran the same seatools tests on the old drive and it said fail.

I am not sure if the fail means that the western digital drive is the problem drive or if it just doesn't work with the seatools test.

Is there any way to find out for sure which drive is causing problems here?

I bet that the drive just doesn't work with the Seatools test. Unplug the Seagate and leave it out for a while and see what happens. If it keeps blue screening then you know it's the WD otherwise you know it's the Seagate. You should be able to get enough of the files you need copied onto the WD in the meantime.

I bet that the drive just doesn't work with the Seatools test. Unplug the Seagate and leave it out for a while and see what happens. If it keeps blue screening then you know it's the WD otherwise you know it's the Seagate. You should be able to get enough of the files you need copied onto the WD in the meantime.

The problem doesn't happen all that often maybe once or twice a month. It had the problem back at the beginning of september so I got the new firmware then the problem did not happen again until yesterday.

So taking the drive out would be a bad idea since i would have to leave it out for more than a month to know for sure.

I am going to try that HD tune program on both drives and see how that goes.

Edit: When the problem occurs the whole OS freezes and crashes and the seagate drive doesn't have windows installed to it, the WD drive does

Back
Top Bottom