Need Help with my network

NOLACop

Baseband Member
Here is a rundown of what I have going one now. I think this is kind of a unique setup, but maybe not.

Ok, I maintain my network and I am the sole person responsible for its operation. I have zero training in networking, routers, servers, switches, etc. but I have patience. I have learned everything I know through forums, youtube videos and watching people work.

I have a network of 5 servers, unmanaged switches, and a Sonicwall Firewall/ Router. My main data network is on a 192.168.14.xxx subnet. When I got transferred into this position this is all we had. Now I have a backup network on the 15 subnet, our VOIP phone system on the 16 subnet. When I took over, we had a crime camera system that ran off of one server. We use Milestone Enterprise for the NVR. All the cameras deployed city wide were on a separate subnet of 10.254.1.xxx. Each camera had an Alvarion radio that was connected to two Alvarion omni antenna/ radios on a tower. From the tower we had a PtP link to the Sonicwall into the X7 interface. All of the routing on the Sonicwall was done by the camera vendor.

Now to my problems. One of the Alvarion radios on the tower died. Instead of replacing it at a cost of several thousand dollars for an outdated technology that didn't cover the city very well, we decided to upgrade. I have installed three Ubiquiti 120 deg sector antennas with the Rocket M5 radios. I have the PtP link from the tower to my building using the same Ubiquiti Powerbridges. I have since changed the IP address scheme to 192.168.17.xxx. I updated the IP address for the existing camera setting on the Sonicwall but that is all I did. I have not done any more on the Sonicwall as far as forwarding different ports. Here is where the trouble starts. From my 14 network, I can log into and ping the Powerbridges on the building and the tower. Both are on the 17 network. However, I can not ping anything behind the Powerbridge on the tower. (FYI, the three Rocket M5s go to the same switch as the Powerbridge). Today I installed Ubiquiti's Aircontrol software. The software automatically discovered all of my Ubiquiti hardware on the 14 network and the two Powerbridges on the 17 network. When I added the other Ubiquiti hardware manually by the static IP, the aircontrol software was able to add the devices and get the MAC addresses from the devices. The devices I manually added were the Rockets and the switch at the tower. I assume the reason I cant access all of my devices is due to a firewall or routing issue of some kind.

So my question....how do I configure my Sonicwall so that any traffic coming from the 17 network is passed to the 14 network and outgoing traffic from the 14 network is passed to the 17 network? I want to be able to IP into my radios from my default LAN. I don't want to go messing with the Sonicwall and break something. I would think this would be simple enough to have two LANs talk to each other but I need help setting it up.

Sorry for the long post but I figured the more info I gave the better yall could understand what I am trying to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wow. Well, it's been a while since I've touched a SonicWall, so bear with me. Do you have any security levels assigned to each subnet? Usually in firewalls, each zone has a security level and lower zones cannot initiate communication to higher zones. Another thing I have seen with other firewalls (ASAs mostly) is that they are not routers, they're basically switches. So for routing to take place, you either need to introduce a router, or have the firewall do pseudo-routing using static NAT translation rules.

Back
Top Bottom