Need help with missing RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

decnug

Solid State Member
Hi,
I recently got some extra RAM for my PC, 2 gigs (a pair of 1gigs).
I had 1g initially, but after upgrading, it now only has 2g (from the System properties in Control Panel and also from the performance tab in the task manager). When I look at the details using PC Wizard 2006 it shows up as 3g. Just wondering is there something simple I'm missing here to get the full installed RAM working.
Thanks,
Declan

That extra gig is probably not going to be utilized in windows, you'd be better served by putting it in another machine.

thats an article on the support of virtual memory if i read it correctly and hes talking about physical memory. and both of which support 4 gigs each. what that actical appears to be is how windows address the usage of virtual memory which is memory on your hard drive. physical memory can go up to 4 gigs but your mother board needs to support it as well.

if you go into the bios and set it so you can see the POST and do a full test you should be able to see it run test on the memory in which case you will see exectally how much is in good condtion. also what does your bios say for amout of ram installed on each slot ?

Will try the bios test when I get home and post the results. Motherboard does support up to 4gigs.
Thanks

Hi again,
I wasn't able to find where I can set it to show the POST from the bootup menu. I did try changing around the new memory sticks and found that it's not a problem with them. To begin with, I have 4 slots for memory, 2 are taken up with the 2 512mb memory sticks that came with the PC. When I add either of the new 1gig memory sticks by themselves, I end up with 2gigs so they are both fine. I also tried each one by itself in either remaining slot and ended up with 2 gigs so the slots are fine. But when the two are added I still only get 2gigs. I tried to use memtest86 to test the bios/ram but couldn't get it to work. Does anyone know of anything else I can try.
Thanks

you shouldnt be using 3GBs on windows XP, ur WAY better off with the 2GB Dual Channel by itself, its faster, keep the older gig for another machine.

oh btw, when you are using just the 2GB dual channel, make sure u color coordinate with the ram slots.

The windows limitation is what I was refering to earlier, XP really does not support beyong 2 gigs, and even if you have it, XP rarely utilizes it.

john3 said:
oh btw, when you are using just the 2GB dual channel, make sure u color coordinate with the ram slots.

not 100% true.

Consult with your motherboard manual, as it varies from mobo to mobo.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom