Need Help With Computer

TJByrum

Beta member
Hey guys, I am new, and while I have some experience with a computer, and I am more or less an amateur.

I had a computer that ran games like StarCraft II, albeit on the lowest settings. But lightning struck and messed up something in it that will not allow it to connect to the internet (which SC2 is a big part of). It says an Ethernet cable is not plugged in; but the cable IS plugged in, and the cable still works (it connected my Xbox to Xbox LIVE so I know it works). Already put in 2 different Ethernet chips that go into those little slots on the back and it did not work.

So I got a new computer, my sister's old one, but it's very old and the graphics card is a standard VGA one and it sucks, really. It is not going to run SC2.

However, my grandmother had a REALLY nice computer, I mean this game ran the SC2 demo so perfectly a few years ago. But recently she gave it back, and it won't even power on!

So I'd like some help. I want to take my power supply out of one of my computers and replace the one in the one that doesn't have a working power supply.

The one that won't connect to the internet:
ACER Aspire M1641

The one that has a crappy video card:
Dell Dimension E310

Not sure what my grandmothers is, but I know it says "Intel Celeron Processor 420" on it, and I assume that is the video card, so is that a good card?

Intel celeron is not the graphic card.
You can use GPUZ to check what graphic card your grandmothers computer has

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

device manager should also be able to tell

Intel Celeron is the main (central) processing unit, or processor; a fairly mediocre one at that.

I'd wager it wouldn't much like StarCraft especially with the graphic enhancements in the newer updates.

You'll need to find out what kind of power unit your gran's PC need (Most Dells/OEM Machines have horrible custom ones that sit in a corner of the case at a funny angle) and find the correct one. From what I see, this is the case with the E310, at least at a glance.

The Acer aspire you mentioned does seem to have a 'normal' power supply, so try that in your gran's PC and see if it works. If it doesn't; either something else in there is damaged or the power unit is too small in wattage.

Back
Top Bottom