Need help with College paper (Cool interview)

LukeD1

In Runtime
Hey all, I am doing a college persuasive essay on why it is beneficial to build your own PC. If you have time, please read and answer the questions. I would greatly appreciate everyones help on this. I am trying to make my point as valid as possible.

DISCLAIMER: Your answers will be quoted and used in the essay but will not be used any further than that. I will quote accurately and will not use your answers in a negative way. You can also request a copy of the essay to have for after I am done writing it. Thanks.

1. What do you do for a living/education and how old are you?

2. What prompted you to build your first computer?

3. Where did you get information for building your first computer?

4. How was your experience building your first computer?

5. How much would you say that you save by building your own computer?

6. Do you feel more confident in your computer experience now that you have built your own computer and why?

7. Do you think that building your own computer is more beneficial than buying a pre-built computer with preinstalled software?

DISCLAIMER: Your answers will be quoted and used in the essay but will not be used any further than that. I will quote accurately and will not use your answers in a negative way. You can also request a copy of the essay to have for after I am done writing it. Thanks.
I would like a copy :)

High School. 15. Male (just incase needed).

Lack of computer intelligence from a friend. So I made it for him.

http://www.computerforums.org/ (just searching through threads)
http://www.newegg.com/

Easier then expected, and easier then other people (off forums) make it out to be.

About 500 USD.

6. Do you feel more confident in your computer experience now that you have built your own computer and why?
No. Sure, saving money, and making your own custom computer is nice and all. But, seriously, all computers run the same software (for the mojority of people), and because of that, im used to running a computer. Not just a computer that I have built. Although its nice to know what exactly is in your computer, incase a part fails. It is much easer to narrow down possibilities, to find the solution.

7. Do you think that building your own computer is more beneficial than buying a pre-built computer with preinstalled software?

Yes and no. Ive done both. Cusom computer saves you money and all. But buying a prebuilt, saves you the hassle, and even stress, of worring about is this part going to work with this. And preinstalled software is just a pain. Other then the operating system. But all the trails and such, just bog down your computer.

I'd like a copy when your done, please.

I am currently in highschool and I am 17 years old.

I wanted to have quality parts and choose everything that would be in my system, myself. I also wanted to have a learning experience.

I obtained the information for building my first computer by doing research using Google to search for tutorials about the basic assembly of the system. I also posted questions and read more tutorials on a website called ComputerForums located at http://www.computerforums.org

I was very nervous at first, but it turned out wonderfully.

It depends on the parts that you purchase, as well as the amount of research you do for the best prices. I estimated a savings of at least 500 USD, at the time of August 2005. The average savings I'd say would be at least a couple hundred dollars in any case.

Yes, I do. I feel that building my own computer was a stepping stone towards other achievements I've made. Since building my own computer, I've become A+ Certified and I'm currently studying for my next certification.

Yes, I believe building your own computer is much more beneficial than buying a pre-built computer. Many companies load on additional software along with the operating system (ussually software from their own company or sponsors), which is not needed and merely takes up more space.

LukeD said:
Hey all, I am doing a college persuasive essay on why it is beneficial to build your own PC. If you have time, please read and answer the questions. I would greatly appreciate everyones help on this. I am trying to make my point as valid as possible.

1. I am 14 and am a freshman in high school
2. I wanted a new computer but not a sh!77y one (quote me on that ;))
3. A friend that had done it, and the internet.
4. It was a little difficult, not so much the hardware, but installin bioses and drivers, and i needed a little help from my friend but overall very good learning experience.
5. depends on what you make, gaming anywhere from $500 to $800, depends mainly on what focus on.
6. yeah, just because i feel like i know a lot more about what makes them run, it can help you understand actually why problems happen
7. hell yeah, i think that building your own computer is a rich experience, is cost beneficial, and can help you understand the parts to save money on repairs, and even learn about parts that you may buy in the future.

oh yeah and i want a copy of this when ur done, just to read :) good luck

LukeD said:

1. I work during the day as a network admin, i go to university at night doing a bachalor of computer science and bachalor of economics. I am 18 turning 19 in april.

2. I saw my mates doing it. I knew i liked computers heaps so i gave it a go.

3. Mates from uni, the guys here at CF

4. exciting and challenging. I was nervous at times because i had spent a heap of money and i didnt want to do anything wrong!!!

5. Saved? LOL ive spent over $3000 on this pc... i would have saved if i bought a premade one from dell! lol

6. definatley feel more confident! why? because now i know what im doing with pc hardware! hehe

7. if you have no idea about computers, a premade one with pre installed software would be more beneficial. But if you make it all yourself, the whole thing is a great learning experiance, and whats better than that?!? nothing!

hope this helps you!

natalya

Answers
1. I am 27 years old, i am an electrical engineering technologist.

2. Just for fun, and it was part of the course i was taking at the time.

3. Books mostly, advice from friends.

4. I enjoyed it and plan on doing it again someday when i get a little free time.

5. Probably a little bit cause you can customize it to fit your budget. But i cheated this time and bought a dell. :)

6. I sure do, cause i have an idea of what's going on now, so when someone askes me to help them i am more confident then i used to be.

7. This question depends on your taste i guess. If you like to build a computer then it is definitly beneficial to build your own, but if you would just like a computer and don't know much about them it's more practical to buy one pre made.

Hope this wasn't to late and that it helps your essay.

LukeD said:

middle school
short on cash, but wanted a sweet PC, for gaming
skimming books, basic knowledge from "tinkering" with them over the years. and taking them apart...
fun, it was amazing turning it on, and bam there is the desktop (after installing the OS) and knowing that you built this!
probally near $1000 dollars.
definately
definately, it is not that hard, and gives you plenty of experience, if you feel too unconfident, buy a book on it, but i bet you will only need it as a reference.

P.S.- can you send me a copy...

I'm 16, my eduaction is basic highschool at the moment I run my own company TDP.
First off was the fact that I felt that to really know computers I had to do it myself. Also it was a LOT CHEAPER. And I know what is in my computer, I know how to remove, and replace parts, and if somthing were to break down, I wouldn't have to do research on what I needed to replace. Also I found it that theres money in computers, and I figured I need to work on mine before turning it into a business.
Poeple who already do it, on this community, google, remember google is comptuer god.
It went pretty well, I had a few issues with drivers, and RAM which was DOA.
A LOT. My computer retail value is around 1,750 or so. I put in about 1,300.
I do feel more confident, I know how to do it, and I know that I know how to do it. And its because i've done it already.

Yes I do you get warranties on your computer as well even if you did oyurself. Also even when I talk to customers who ask me to beat prices such as Dell, Gateway, etc, etc I beat it. Even with my labor costs, shipping and all added up.

LukeD said:

I am 18 years old (19 in less than a month) and I am a first year Computer Science major.

My profound interest in the way technology works and my ability to successfully accomplish tasks that some people think is difficult or impossible (I just have to optimism to be able to do these kind of things with confidence that I won't fail at it). Also, I was heading off to post-secondary and thought it would be an effective way to save some money.

Well, where else? computerforums.org and all its members proved to be the most helpful with answering specified questions. Other generalized questions were answered with simple google searches.

Everything went smoothly the first time around. Of course, I went quite slow to take extra care that I was installing all the hardware correctly seeing as it was first time. The computer started up without a hitch at end so overall it went very well.

Since I am from Canada, in Canadian dollars I would say at least 500.

Most definitely. Confidence does, after all, come with experience and getting a better understanding of what you've learned only improves as time goes on. I can say without doubt that building computers is not a difficult task. I owe a lot of respect to the people on these forums for passing their knowledge over to me. They have been a great source for learning.

The answer to that question is simple; YES! I think everyone should know exactly what they're buying and what goes into constructing a computer. A lot of these companies know that the majority of their customers don't know a whole about computers and so it can become easy for them to scam people into paying more and agreeing to more than what they bargained for.
With that being said, however, some people just do not have the time to do what I have done and personally learn everything there is know about building their own computer. Some reputable companies like Dell do offer another method to getting hold of a good quality computer. Not everyone is interesting in knowing how to build a computer so there are negative and positive aspects for pre-built and custom built PCs.

Back
Top Bottom