Need Help With Apache setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuulcars

Beta member
I've been trying to setup a home server for some time now. I've just been googling and checking other forums and trying to learn from others' mistakes, so this is the first time I've posted a question for help specifically directed toward me. I have setup my apache server to run on my lan, and can connect to it from another computer on my network. I have port forwarded my router to my computer, but I still cannot connect to my computer from my WAN address. Any help offered will be appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions that will help guide your advice.

Or you could try putting the server into the DMZ and see if that works, but Office Politics's suggestion is just as valid as most ISP's don't like you hosting a server of your own I would change it to a 3 digit port over something retardedly high.

OK so I tried forwarding a port (3 digit high like you said) to my computer (I didn't bother reconfiguring apache because my router ISN'T advanced enough lol) and used a quick scan from shieldUP and it told me that I didn't have that port opened. Or for that matter, any ports open. However, my ISP says it does not block any ports, so in theory, any that I open on my router should be a direct route to me, correct?

No, if your router isn't advanced enough it will only let you open ports "straight through" eg external port 80 to internal port 80 on 192.168.0.11 and so you will have to reconfigure apache when you change your external port.
If your router was advanced enough then you would be able to forward port 2345 to internal port 80 on 192.168.0.11 and this way you would not have to reconfigure apache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom