Need help setting up 5.1 speakers.

Danny93

In Runtime
I've got my eyes on this 5.1 speaker set on eBuyer, it says it comes with all wires to plug it directly into my PC but I don't have a clue how to set up 5.1 speakers so I need help from someone that's done it before, because I suck at setting up audio :(

Obviously being 5.1 it has front left and right, and rear left and right speakers along with centre and a sub.

I'm assuming the front and rear side speakers plug into the relevant FRONT and BACK speaker inputs in my PC?

Okay, but the centre and sub I am confused about. I don't have both a centre and a subwoofer input on my PC, just CENTRE/LFE, so how I am supposed to plug both the centre and the sub in with only one spare input? My motherboard is supposed to have 7.1 audio..

edit- don't know if this is relevant, but; I can change my line-in to function as a second CENTRE/LFE?

from what i understand the amp will have 1 connection that you connect to your PC, this 1 connection will then send the sound to all 5 of your speakers

from what i understand the amp will have 1 connection that you connect to your PC, this 1 connection will then send the sound to all 5 of your speakers

It doesn't exactly work that way for all sound cards. For example, mine has 3. I had to go into the configuration utility for my sound card and adjust the settings so that the mic input was changed to a rear surround input in order to properly set up a 5.1 speaker system. Read the manual for your sound card, it should have instructions on how to set up 5.1 sound. Also, in the case of onboard sound, you may have to adjust some settings in BIOS in order to put the sound device into 5.1 mode. Again, read the manual for the sound device (motherboard manual) for the details on setting up 5.1 sound.

It doesn't exactly work that way for all sound cards. For example, mine has 3. I had to go into the configuration utility for my sound card and adjust the settings so that the mic input was changed to a rear surround input in order to properly set up a 5.1 speaker system. Read the manual for your sound card, it should have instructions on how to set up 5.1 sound. Also, in the case of onboard sound, you may have to adjust some settings in BIOS in order to put the sound device into 5.1 mode. Again, read the manual for the sound device (motherboard manual) for the details on setting up 5.1 sound.

Thanks for the replies, I figured it all out looking at all the inputs and outputs on the speakers that I was looking at. The front right speaker has all the controls like it usually does and has various wires to plug into the pc, the signals are then sent to the amp in the subwoofer using what looks a little like a VGA cable.

Back
Top Bottom