Need help! Just replaced E6700 with Q6600 and now comp doesn't work!

Pyrox920

Baseband Member
What happens is that the computer turns on, but the fan stays at max speed like it usually does for a few seconds when you first turn it on, and nothing comes on the screen.

I have a 680i SLI motherboard, which is compatible with the quad-core. It does not have the newest BIOS update, but it should still work.

Does your OS care about what processor your are using? Was I suppose to do something with the OS before I switched them out?

Thanks for any help.

my motherboard said that it will support Quad Cores too, but unless i update my bios, i cant use Quad Cores.

I would recommend putting your Dual Core back in, and update it to the latest BIOS, then try again.

If it doesnt work, then my guess is that your CPU is faulty.

EDIT - what Version of BIOS do you have? Check the manufacturers website to see which BIOS supports your processor.

my motherboard said that it will support Quad Cores too, but unless i update my bios, i cant use Quad Cores.

I would recommend putting your Dual Core back in, and update it to the latest BIOS, then try again.

If it doesnt work, then my guess is that your CPU is faulty.

Okay, well by 'replace' I meant 'swap'. I just put my E6700 in the machine that was using the Q6600, and it works. And the Quad worked fine before I swapped, I know it's not faulty. I guess it is the bios, which means I have to swap them back...

yeah... that sucks.... switching processors is pretty much the hardest for me.
I think Swap and Replace pretty much means the same thing.

I hate updating the BIOS. It almost scares me. But I think the BIOS update should allow that processor to work in the mobo.

yeah, im always scared of bricking my board.
i think from now on, i will only update my bios with theres something incompatible.

Back
Top Bottom