Need help installing updates

mumydrest

Beta member
First of all let me say that I am not a Mac person. I am very familiar with a PC. *I have a an iMac8 which belongs to my mother running Os X 10.6.8. I have the original gray install discs ( Mac OS X 10.5.2 ) that came with it but no Snow Leopard Disc.*It also has Microsoft Office Suite 2011 and Adobe Creative Suite 8 installed of which I have both programs. *The only thing I care about in CS is Photoshop but not a must. It has Deep Freeze installed. Some years ago my mother allowed a college student to clean it up because it was running slow. Not only did this student wipe the drive clean but he also kept the external drive that our back up was on. This tech locked Deep Freeze ( 2 GB space ) so no one is able to look to see whats in it. Preferences tells me that System is the owner. We dont have a password to unlock Deep Freeze.*I'm not able to save anything new. If I shut down everything is gone when I start it back up. I need to get rid of Deep Freeze completely (don't need it) and reinstall OS x.*

I know that I am able to upgrade this as far as El Capitan. Problem is Im confused about exactly which updates to apply. Unsure if the Combo updates are all I need. There are so many of them it's mind boggling to me. I also would like to know if I can download them to a bootable USB drive and install them from it.

I plan on upgrading the ram to 4 GB currently at 2 GB. I also would like to know if I could use my 1 TB My Passport USB drive to back it up with Time Machine. I know this is a lot to ask but I really could use the help.

Back
Top Bottom