need help installing a western digital hardrive

celegorm said:
a SATA with m/s jumpers? never heard of that before....
mine has them I just don't use them.... I didn't realize they were there until I was looking at my old SATA HDD and saw that it had them.

One would presume you have initialised and formated the disk before trying to install Windows onto it

I've not seen a SATA WD disk with jumpers either, would you mind posting the disk version, I'm intrigued.

It is along the lines of WDC WD740GD-00FLC0 (that's my 74GB 10,000rpm Raptor)

kevkid said:
sata harddrive
i dont know what to do
the bios recognises it but when i try to install windows it tells me that no harddrive is detected

you need, Sata Drivers. Most current boards no longer need these SATA drivers, but older boards will require them to be installed.

when you go to install windows, (press any key to boot form CD)

it will ask you right away at the bottom of the screen press F6 to load any additional drivers.

You have to locate the SATA drivers for your motherboard. If you give me more info on the board i can help you there as well.

you will then need to put the SATA drivers on a floppy disk and hopefully your machine has a floppy disk drive. if not they are cheap. You insert that disk and press Enter.

XP will look for the drivers on the disk and load them.

and BAM you got your drive!

good luck :D

celegorm said:
click run, then type "diskmgmt.msc" just without the question marks. it opens teh disk managment system. in there you can assign the drive a letter, and format it, then the rest of windows should reconize it. if disk managment doesn not see it, check your connections. (altho considering bios sees it i do not think this will be a problem).

Yea.... i dont think that will work since he dont have windows installed....... :rolleyes:

cornholio101 said:
my hard drive is SATA and has master/slave settings and i had the same problem, but i moved the jumper and it worked

PROVE IT

Back
Top Bottom