Need help formatting my harddrive?

dcjose201

Baseband Member
I'm trying to format a dell desktop computer that my friend gave me. When I open the command prompt and type format c:, I get a message saying that the volume is in used and needs to be dismounted first. It gives me an option to dismount the harddrive, but then it says it can't do it. Is there a way to start the computer in dos-mode so formatting the harddrive would be easier?

Try popping in a XP install CD and boot to that. You should then be able to delete the current partition and reformat it.

i have done that and when the computer restarts to install it, i get an error message saying that a .sys file is corrupted and then it will just restart itself

Yes it should. Booting to the CD bypasses the OS installed on the computer. From there you can delete the current partition(s) and then reformat the drive as you like.

To enter the BIOS setup. I believe you press either DEL or F2 at boot-up. If I'm not mistaken, pressing F12 at boot will take you to a screen asking which device you want to boot from. If so, Select the disc drive with the XP CD in it.

For starters, to the OP, you can not format a c: drive while Windows is running from it, it is impossible.

Is the disk you're using an XP disk? or a Dell restore disk?

Atomic Rooster is correct in what he is telling you but I believe you're not giving us all the relevent information.

Back
Top Bottom