need help fixing....

snooz

Beta member
my computer

So I got a virus that kept on giving me pop ups and what not. So I decided to reformat my computer so i borrowed my friends xp disc. (he didnt add that he had just downloaded it from a torrent >.<) So I put the disc in and let her run it tells me to restart my computer for the process to start. So i do so....then my computer boots up and goes through the first few screens and stops at a black screen with a little white bar at the top right corner flashing. Just stops there and does that for however long i leave it on. I cant seem to find out how to fix this. Any help would be appreciated.....

Also I can get to my bios....oh and also when it boots up it makes a beep noise then about 1 or 2 seconds later does some more beeping its more like a clicking though like clickclickclickclick.

ALLSOO i built this computer so i know somewhat about computers but not enough to fix this..

specs are
cpu - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
ram - 2048MB RAM
hd - 320 GB Tota
vid card - NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT
os - Windows XP Professional (sp2 i think)

Majority of the time when it starts beeping at start up, then it usually means theres an certain hardware thats failing.
But sometimes it beeps to tell you how many USB and or PS/2 you have plugged in, but thats only on certain motherboards, if your computer never did this before, then this is not it.

the clicking noise would either be the HDD or the optical drive (IE CD/DVD drive).
Disconnect one, and start the computer to see if the clicks go away.

Try getting an legit XP disc, and install it.

Clicking is usually not what you want to hear on booting a machine =(

I would definitely narrow down where the noise is coming from before going too much further.

If you need a hard drive repair tool to recover your data, you could try http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

So i tried unplugging my hd and booting it up and it didnt make the clicking noise....sooo it must be my hd then right?

Back
Top Bottom