Need help cooling a XPS 420 (And possibly upgrading power supply)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foote

Baseband Member
Ok. So I have a Dell XPS 420. Here is the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0ghz, 6mb L2 Cache)
4GB of 800mhz RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800GT (512mb)
500GB HDD @ 7200rpm
Running on a Samsung 2253bw with DVI Cables. (at 1680x1050 native)
Running on Windows Vista 32bit
Running with 2.1 logitech speaker setup

I hope thats all the info you guys need, if you need more let me know.

So...I got the game Fallout 3, and stuck it in. It auto tested the graphics and gave me the message set to high. I think it was x4 and x8 antilising or something. Anyway, I play it for about 15 mins and my monitor goes black and the blue power light for the monitor starts blinking..like it does when the monitor is on but the computer is off/asleep. So i try clicking around..alt tab..window key..ctrl alt delete..pressing the monitor power button..nothing works. And the computer seems to be still on but I guess not responding as far as graphics goes. I can tell the computer feels a bit warm..so I guess it must be the graphics is causing it to over heat...

Soo....I look it up and it looks like the fatal flaw of the pc is the case ventilation. It could be that, or possibly an insufficent power supply? I dunno.

I'm not a techie..so I'm going to have geek squad or something do whatever install is best to fix this. Because I know my computer is strong enough to run the game on high..it just over heats in the process and I'd like to be able to use it to it's potential so I need to fix the cooling and/or power supply problem.

HERE is the problem though. You see..I can't find jack squat about what kind of fans I'd need to buy..where I need to put them...and the same for the power supply. I don't know which to buy or what I need. Can someone please give me some reccomendations? Or atleast tell me where to start...

I don't mind paying Geek Squad to do the install...I just want to make sure I know and understand what they are putting in! Thanks for the help.

Overheating of the gfx can be solved through riva tune and setting the fan settings to 100%. Don't use geek squad they are imbisiles!!!!! Open up the case an take a couple of pics we will be able to tell you whats in there just by looking at it.

You should d/l some temp programs... CoreTemp, GpuZ will do vid card temps, and find out what the temps are when you're playing.

I doubt its a psu issue, as thats not a heavy loaded system. The 8800 heats up bad. You could d/l RivaTuner and use it to jack your fan up. It'll be annoying, but will drop the gpu temp alot.

I looked for pics of your case, and man its tight... Installing exta fans is possible, but you'll have to be creative.

Again do not go to geek squad.

They don't know anything. And like everyone else said, raise the fan speeds using the programs mentioned.

If you don't know what to do, google it.

Hmm...I gave dell a call. Apparently I'm still under warranty.

So...They are sending me:

a new 425 watt power supply (to replace the 375 watt i have)

a new nvidia 8800gt (Or 9800gt if the 8800 isnt avaliable)

and a replacement motherboard. (They said it could possibly be a faulty chip set based on what I described)

If none of this is the issues, then I will be trying these programs you guys said. And if that doesn't fix it; then I'ma have to let geek squad try to add some more cooling..either by adding fans some how or by moving all the components to a new case...then adding fans.

Either way..I'm getting a lot of free parts from dell so I'm happy. :) :) :)

Must be nice to be an XPS owner, seems like they must treat you a lot better than the general riff raff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom