Need help choosing a sound card.

OTSS

In Runtime
Ok so this is the only place I buy all my computer stuff and these are the options.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Produc...SoundCards(ME)/PCISoundCards(ME)/Default.aspx

I want to get a sound card for my new Z-5500's I am getting for christmas. Currently I have onboard Realtek sound(not even HD sound). Ok so I want a card where it will be a great improvement over onboard but I don't want to get so high end where I hardly even notice the difference from a card $20-$50 cheaper. So if say an $80 card sounds great and the $140 card cannot make a noticeable difference above that, then I would want the $80 one, but say if the $140 one does make a big improvement then I would want the $140 one. Or whatever the case may be. So pretty much which sound card will give me the most bang for my buck.

BTW: The main purpose of the card will be for music, This is my casual computer and I will be getting the top of the line sound card when I do my next build for a gaming rig, which won't be until June, 2008. So I guess I am trying to say best card for music only and who cares about game sound right now.

So is there any difference in the OEM copy compared to retail. I usually get OEM everything but this one is like 20$ cheaper and I don't know why.

So is there any difference in the OEM copy compared to retail. I usually get OEM everything but this one is like 20$ cheaper and I don't know why.

OEM will not come with extras (No games, possibly no driver CD, no audio software, etc). Usually you get some crappy game, with some crappy trial software, so I think it's worth it to save the 20$ :)

For the Logitech Z-5500, you want to get a card that supports Optical Out.
So, don't go for an X-Fi. Theyd don't sound as good running from analogue sources, trust me.

The site seems to be down.

For the Logitech Z-5500, you want to get a card that supports Optical Out.
So, don't go for an X-Fi. Theyd don't sound as good running from analogue sources, trust me.

The site seems to be down.

Yeah the site was down when I was looking for a reply so that's why the late response. Does the sound quality make a big difference on optical out? I am also going to be using these speakers alot on my Xbox360 and TV using the red and white cords. Does it sound good like that as well? Also which card does have Optical out and good sound on the link I provided in my first post?

Yea, that's a better card if your willing to shell out the initial $94.95 and wait for the rebate. It will give you outstanding sound in games. I'm not sure if you'll be able to hear the difference between the two when playing music.

Back
Top Bottom