Need Help Buying A Computer

Shrimp8o8

Beta member
Hey guys, our computer at home recently broke and my mom and I are looking to buy a new computer. I like to play dota which is a game on Warcraft 3:Frozen Throne so the computer has to be atleast good enough for me to play dota on without lag. What computer off the best buy website would you guys suggest? Price is around $700 about $1500 depending on the size of the monitor. Thanks for the help.

Any modern PC can play that game without a problem. You could probably pick up an el cheapo laptop for $400 that would play Warcraft 3. It's not the most graphically intensive game these days.

Are you looking for a pre-fab (like an OEM system from HP or Dell) or do you want to build it yourself? I realize you're asking from the Best Buy site, but if you're willing to buy it online, then there are far better options than one from Best Buy.

The system that Anderwolfe suggested is a fair deal as well. That system would easily play many games on top of Warcraft 3.

My friends that I play Dota with have suggested that I check out newegg.com as well so I will most likely buy my computer from there instead rather than from BestBuy.
Idk if I feel comfortable building my own computer because I'm only 16 and don't really know that much about computers. My friend sugested that I build my own computer and told me to check out Hardware Revolution that site. What do you guys think? Is it possible for someone like me to build my own computer? I'm fairly intelligent but I just don't have computer building experience which is why I'm kind of hesitant.

If I was to consider building a computer I'd buy the stuff under the tier 7 suggestions which are in pink. Does that build look good?

I suggest you buy a pre-build one since you never build a computer before. Keep your broken computer and play with the hardwares inside. Learn how to take out the components and put them back together. If you want to build your own computer, make sure the parts you buy matches the motherboard. EXP - i7 cpu wont fit in an AMD motherboard. Buying a prebuild cost a little bit more than building one on your own.

If you have common sense and have played with logos as a kid, you can build a computer.
The only thing you have to be careful with is buying the proper parts, which we can help you with.

Check around on Youtube to see if there's any video guides. I know I was planning to make one soon for my buddy.

This is what I was planning on buying to build my computer:
CPU- Intel Core i5-760 2.8 GHz LGA1156 95W Quad-Core
Motherboard- ASUS P7P55D E-Pro CF/SLI 8x/8x and SATA6Gb/s USB3.0
RAM- G.SKILL 8GB (2 X 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz CAS 9 1.5v
Video Card- Two Radeon HD 6870 1GB in Crossfire
Storage- OCZ Agility 2 2.5" 60GB SATA II SSD
Optical Drive- ASUS SATA 24X DVD Burner
Power Supply- CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W 80 PLUS Certified
Case- NZXT PHANTOM, in Black
Cooling- COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200mm Red LED Case Fan
Sound- 8 channels sound card: Intergrated on the motherboard
Network- Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps:Intergrated on the motherboard

I did the math and all this would cost me about $1300 with about $150 of that being for shipping because I live in Hawaii. Does that sound like a good build/deal?

And I was also wondering about all the programs that I would need to get since they don't come with the computer if I were to build my own. How would I get all these programs?

That Asus motherboard is out of stock / deactivated. Here's an alternative that should work for you as well: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

There's no reason to get two video cards unless you have a huge monitor (30+ inches) and game at ultra high resolutions (2048x and beyond). CrossFire/SLI just won't come into play at lower resolutions on smaller monitors.

You're better off just getting a Radeon HD 5870 or a GeForce 460/480. Plenty of power in those cards. I own the 5870 and have it paired with a quad core AMD and it does Ultra settings just fine.

No idea why you have the COOLER MASTER Megaflow. It's not necessary. That case is fantastic. Been hearing a lot of good on it lately.

I would also put in a standard rotational hard drive if you store a lot on your PC. 60GB SSD is going to go fast.

The only thing you're missing is Windows 7. $99 at most, so throw that in there as well. The other software just depends on you. There's no need to pay for things like Office or Antivirus when you can get fully featured alternatives for free (OpenOffice or your pick of Antivirus, my favorite is Microsoft Security Essentials, etc)

Power supply is a little high though - you can easily get away with a Corsair 600 watt if you only get one video card as I suggested. 700 watt if you're feeling paranoid, but no need for it.

Other than that, looks fine. Shipping to Hawaii is reasonable too.

Back
Top Bottom