Need help building my computer

alisterdavis

Beta member
I'm looking at building my own computer. after much research i have decided on most of the parts however i am unsure how to decide what size PSU i should get also can someone please tell me of any addition items that would be worth looking at (esspecially cooling options). I'm located in Australia and at the moment am using the Umart.com.au website please tell me if there is a better site to be using

The parts i'm looking at so far are:
Intel i7 930
GA-X58A-UD7
NVIDIA GTX 470 (X2 eventually)
Corsair 2gb 1333MHz X4
Creative sound blaster x-fi titanium
NZXT Lexa S
WD 1TB Green
Samsung SH-B083L/RSBP Blu-Ray Combo Sata (light-scribe)

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the help so far im probably going to change to the GA-X58A-UD3R although i havn't had a chance to look at the other board you mentioned. Also please note that this is the first time i'm building my own computer and really appreciated all the help you guys can give me. Also all the calculations i have come across have recommended between 800W-850W should i look at getting more or does that seem appropriate?
Also i'm having trouble determining the difference between the GA-X58A-UD7, GA-X58A-UD5? After looking through the entire specifications i was unable to find any differences.

Thanks again

Welcome to CF.

Few things about the choice of parts so far...

I personally don't think you need to get the GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard. Although it performs great the chipset heatsink doesn't really work and it's over priced. The GA-X58A-UD3R has the same main features/performance and it's much cheaper making it great value for money. Also look at the Asus P6X58D-E. It's on par with the UD3R.

When running X58 boards use tri-channel RAM to utilise the i7's RAM controller properly; you might as well make use of the RAM bandwidth that's available. So go for either 3 X 1GB sticks or 3 X 2GB sticks. And go for 1600Mhz RAM.

If you intend to go with dual video cards for SLI in the future, make certain of two things.

First that you have a monitor that you can appreciate SLI on (if you have a 22" or a 24" LCD, you're going to be blowing money for no reason on SLI) and second is picking a power supply, as you requested, that will do everything you need it to do. Since you're going to be going with those power hungry 470's, and based on Newegg's power supply calculator (http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html ) you'll probably want a 950 watt PSU or higher, since those video cards can really suck up the juice.

I'm still learning the Intel motherboard camp as I go, so listen to Remeniz's advice in that regard. I use an i7 at work and it's a great system.

If you intend to go with dual video cards for SLI in the future, make certain of two things.

First that you have a monitor that you can appreciate SLI on (if you have a 22" or a 24" LCD, you're going to be blowing money for no reason on SLI) and second is picking a power supply, as you requested, that will do everything you need it to do. Since you're going to be going with those power hungry 470's, and based on Newegg's power supply calculator (http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html ) you'll probably want a 950 watt PSU or higher, since those video cards can really suck up the juice.

I'm still learning the Intel motherboard camp as I go, so listen to Remeniz's advice in that regard. I use an i7 at work and it's a great system.

monitor size doesn't matter, resolution does. If you're going to overclock then i7-920s normally get higher OCs and they're cheaper.

As Remeniz said earlier you'd save some money if you went for a UD3R, its pretty much the same board.

Back
Top Bottom