Need Help Building a Computer for the First Time

UnoriginallyChris

Solid State Member
Hi! I actually made a topic at another forum asking for help but eventually stopped getting answers, so I thought I'd try over here. :)

Anyway, I want to build a computer for the first time... I know very little about the technical things with computers, but I'm also not completely stupid with them. So I got a friend to build this for me:
System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

What I want out of this computer is to be able to edit HD video without too much hassle, and too play games and record games(Skyrim, Minecraft) with little to no lag.

Now for the questions...
1. I notice the motherboard in that build is out of stock... Is there another one I can replace it with or are computers build from the motherboard up? Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard - PCPartPicker Canada (<- That one)
2. I'm told I should downgrade to an i5 2500k as a 2600k is pretty much identical besides a few tiny things that wouldn't be helpful to me anyway... Is that true?
3. What should I get for the CPU Cooler? I saw something about Arctic Cooler 5 from a how-to post somewhere else, but it was highly outdated, so I don't know if that's good or not now...
4. I've seen some people say I should get an SSD and replace one of the hard-drives with that... I'm actually not sure what that means, but is it something I should look into doing?
5. How's that set-up as a whole? Good for I plan to be doing?

Sorry for the longer post. Hopefully not being too much of a hassle!

And Happy New Years to you all! Thanks for reading.

1. The first one is fine

2. No, the 2600 is more close to the 2500k then the 2600k to the 2500k, people get confused maybe.. and no it's a massive difference , stick with that.

3. If you think it's outdated then purchase a new one, just make sure it fits the socket on the mobo you posted which is a LGA115 socket.

4. SSD are much much better then harddrives yes...

5. Great setup, can't you add a little more ram? I heard video recording and editing...

Don't forget more watt, 700 PSU are really dropping now, you'll need more because of extra cooling, crossfire and to be set for the future, better to be safe then sorry :)

1. The first one is fine

2. No, the 2600 is more close to the 2500k then the 2600k to the 2500k, people get confused maybe.. and no it's a massive difference , stick with that.

3. If you think it's outdated then purchase a new one, just make sure it fits the socket on the mobo you posted which is a LGA115 socket.

4. SSD are much much better then harddrives yes...

5. Great setup, can't you add a little more ram? I heard video recording and editing...

Don't forget more watt, 700 PSU are really dropping now, you'll need more because of extra cooling, crossfire and to be set for the future, better to be safe then sorry :)
1. That's just my problem though, I would like to stick to that but since it's out of stock I don't know if I'll be able to get it for who-knows how long.
2. Alright.
3. What would be suggested then?
4. ^
5. Yea alright, I'll go for that... Thanks.

1 ill post later on
2 i think (unless you are video encoding... or something like that) go for the i5 2500k... i am happy with mine under intense gamming i dont go above 60% load.. i have mine oc to 4.0ghz at about 48 degree (not stock cooler) under prime95... and it is $100 cheaper!!!
3i have a antec 620... happy with it temp under load and over clocked is above... oh... fully stable comp runs 24/6 no crashes...
4i have an ssd 60gb... fast but little storage... just personal preference... you'll have to choose that one.
5 what the hell man!!! i have 1 6950... lol and that is plenty!!! if u wana do cross fire save some money and go with 6870 lol and to me... i like the nzxt source 210... sharp and cheap! Maybe a little under powered... ill go with maybe a 850wat.. make sure you arent useing oem windows 7... you need a product key from microsoft...

oh blueray... idk if you have blueray dvd's or what ever... i dont... so i think that is a waste...

BIOSTAR TZ68A+ LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

that seems like an OK mb... idk what your busdet is...

Back
Top Bottom