need advice

mattb93

Beta member
I have been wanting to host my own website for a long time and I feel like im ready but still clue less. I need information on a suggested pc, and suggested server and some general steps I should take. My plan is to eventually produce my own small web-hosting company, I could be naive on the difficulty of such an accomplishment but im determined and now have the money that im sure I will need. Any advice would be appricated. Thank you. Also in the mean time I plan to try it as a reseller on hostgator.com, if anyone has any advice on that, it would also be much appricated.

-Matt

Dual processor server mother board and 64GB of memory and you should be good. My cousin has done the same thing. He's using an 8 core opteron and plans on moving up to the 12 core when he can. The more ram the better in this situation. Of course, none of this is personal experience advice. And I dont know why people dont respond on this forum any more!

Woahly cow. 64GB for a web host that is starting out is overkill, even if you do Windows based hosting.

My advice is to start with a reseller plan on a dedicated hosting service first to get your feet wet and to see what kind of hardware can perform at the different price points. I run my own reseller hosting and even with a "slow" dual processor Opteron 244 based Linux server, on a shared/reseller plan, it does 99% of what I and my customers ask it to do.

The other advantage is that if you go this route, you don't need to figure out the bandwidth or the internet connection yourself, which can be a huge barrier to entry until you get yourself established. It's nice to set your sights high, but be realistic too, or you'll bankrupt yourself and you do your users a disservice when you go OUT of business.

nbrikha said:
And I dont know why people dont respond on this forum any more!
er... ok? Have you looked around here lately? I know that I personally post in here every free chance I get, so maybe peel the eyelids back a bit eh? ;)

Yes see what happens with co-hosting first. Then become familiar with all the services and tools they offer. The think about all the potential headaches you may have with spam, viruses, and backup - and providing support. Are you ready to support customers trying to run databases server side includes? And the low prices they charge. And then reevaluate you want to try to compete with all that?

Back
Top Bottom