Need Advice on CPU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrypond

Beta member
Hi
i have a 3800x2, which i bought for my gaming pc, i thought this would be clever as it would last me along time as it is dual core. i was wondering if maybe it would be sensible to sell it and buy a single core cpu because then i would get a lot better performance. Also i thought it might not be letting me get the full potential of my GPU which is a X850PRO VIVo Oc'ed to a X850 XT PE (16 pipelineS) then to 535 core and 590 mem?

any help greatly appreciated and any suggestions are also appreciated

BTW my busget for a CPU is whatever i get from my CPU about £170 + £85
so about $450 i think

or should i spend my money on something else like better ram as i have 2gb of samsung, valueram

No, it isn't limiting your GPU. The X2 3800 is a great CPU. If you aren't comfortable with the amount of performance it's giving, why don't you try overclocking it?

dont trade it in for a single core, and its definitely not bottlenecking your video card, and yes, try overclocking it.

It's not that Dual cores aren't GOOD for gaming, it's that games haven't truly been optimized to take full advantage of dual core setups....
What kinds of issues are you having? My rig is in my sig, and yours has some better specs... I haven't had ANY issues on mine yet. I have played Doom3, WoW, BF2, Oblivion, haven't had ANY issues on it at all...

ok thanks, i have tried overclocking it, but i cant get above 2.2ghz. I have very good air cooling and and cheap pc3200 ram ( maybe ram limiting it?).
I have an Asrock939 Dual-Sata2 motherboard.
I thought the voltage could be limiting it so i tried numerous vcore mods to raise it to 1.5v but all of them failed so im stuck on 2.2ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom