Need advice on build/upgrade?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone and happy early New Year!

When I first joined these forums, I posted a thread asking for some advice on an upgrade project I had in mind; and according to the responses it was a better investment than my alternative upgrade plan. Basically I have a tower that somebody (no idea who) self-built quite a few years ago. I have no idea what it was built for; but apparently the board supports a variety of C2D's. I recently looked into building a new system for light gaming, but I'm a poor white boy and this upgrade looks cheaper than the other build idea (and it would have similar specs). With that being said, I have a rough build plan of what the specs should look like when I'm done "upgrading" it, and I'd like some constructive criticism and/or some advice on the concept. :) I am aware the motherboard is absolutely terrible in terms of modern computing but this is really more of a personal project (moreso to gain some more experience in the hobby of computer building).

So the basic specs of the machine currently are:

Motherboard: P5VD2-VM SE (ASUS)

Processor: Intel Celeron D (3.06GHz)

Cooling: Basic Heatsink

RAM: 2GB installed (4GB max.)

HDD: 250 GB

Graphics: Integrated, and they are total ****.

PSU: Unknown brand; but rated at 300W.

I'm not mean enough to call this setup useless......but in it's current state that's pretty much what it is. For a modern computer enthusiast, it's only really good for testing downloaded software for malware. Which is what I've been using it for since I got it.

After some fine tuning under the hood, this is what I hope to have:

Motherboard: P5VD2-VM SE

Processor: Intel Extreme X6800 (2.93 GHz, dual core)

Cooling: Liquid Cooling (according to my research, a normal heat sink won't
cut it for this processor for some reason)

RAM: 4GB (maxed out)

HDD: Crucial V4 128GB SATA II SSD

Graphics: GTX 650TI

PSU: Corsair CX600 600W

In case you need links (just examples):

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2 93GHz 4M 1066 Socket 775 LGA775 CPU SL9S5 | eBay

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Cooling System | eBay

RAM: 4GB 2X 2GB DDR2 PC5300 PC2 5300 667 MHz Low Density Desktop Memory RAM 4 GB Kit | eBay

HDD: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!?
Item=N82E16820148587

Graphics: Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P4-3650-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

What are your thoughts? Any opinions, help, or adivce is greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:
You know, for the price you are willing to pay on the H80, C2D, and DDR2 you could get a cheap AM3 board, 8GB of DDR3, and a Phenom 2 955. Just so you know.

Also, there is no reason why that 6800 would need liquid cooling in the least. People overclocked the crap out of them on air back in the day. (not stock)

Also, for the price this is a better PSU and it's modular.
Newegg.com - SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

That.....sounds a lot better actually. Wish I could delete this thread because it didn't take long for me to decide this upgrade wasn't what I wanted to do. lol Thanks for the advice on the other parts.

Back
Top Bottom