Need advice about my current job situation

This.

Having a ticket system has nothing to do with how you interact with people - it gives a better way of managing issues that arise.

I know, but it works perfect here. No problems at all, our offices work very well and we support 125+ across 3 countries.

The company does not want to be corporate and lose that engagement between IT and the offices. I joined because of that reason, I hate corporate environments having worked in a few and this company is so laid back and very open with each other. are managers are called "supporters" you get in trouble using the "M" word lol.

I know, but it works perfect here. No problems at all, our offices work very well and we support 125+ across 3 countries.

The company does not want to be corporate and lose that engagement between IT and the offices. I joined because of that reason, I hate corporate environments having worked in a few and this company is so laid back and very open with each other. are managers are called "supporters" you get in trouble using the "M" word lol.

So job title in their resume would be..."Supporters" hah
well that's pretty cool.
I've only done corporate so far and it hasn't been to bad.

I fail to understand what "engagement" you'd lose if you had a ticket system setup...?

It's not like you're alienating users by putting in a ticket to keep track of various things. It makes it easier to lookup past info actually - for anybody that can access the ticket system. So instead of a scenario like "Oh I've seen this problem before... Dave remembers how to troubleshoot this problem since he fixed it before, I'll just give it to him." You can instead be able to look up what "Dave" did in a previous ticket, and fix the issue faster.

I fail to understand what "engagement" you'd lose if you had a ticket system setup...?

It's not like you're alienating users by putting in a ticket to keep track of various things. It makes it easier to lookup past info actually - for anybody that can access the ticket system. So instead of a scenario like "Oh I've seen this problem before... Dave remembers how to troubleshoot this problem since he fixed it before, I'll just give it to him." You can instead be able to look up what "Dave" did in a previous ticket, and fix the issue faster.

+1 this is absolutely important. You are going to want that system because you will be able to communicate to your client that you are aware of all past and current issues, and you will have a better understanding on how that user operates on their system because you will hopefully have previous notes.

Your customer will also be a lot more understanding if you can point out specific examples of previous services performed. Also they will see that you take your job more seriously which makes them confident in the work you do for them. Plus if you work in a team of technical staff you would always want the other technicians to know what work you have already done.

Plus if "Dave" fixed this before and doesn't work there anymore you'll have to figure it out all over again.
Having a ticket system and good documentation can help in many ways building towards the future

You end up just being an IT department and they end up just being another ticket/customer. All my friends in IT support use ticket systems and just sit behind the screen/phone and support, ticket/customer done, next... I dont mind ticket systems there designed for that reason like but its not needed.

The company has been active 15 years and never had a problem so we cant argue here about it because its working of course (for now)

With regards to the "o dave knows" we have a database of problems/fixes but just not a ticket system to response to "our colleagues"...

You end up just being an IT department and they end up just being another ticket/customer. All my friends in IT support use ticket systems and just sit behind the screen/phone and support, ticket/customer done, next... I dont mind ticket systems there designed for that reason like but its not needed.

The company has been active 15 years and never had a problem so we cant argue here about it because its working of course (for now)

With regards to the "o dave knows" we have a database of problems/fixes but just not a ticket system to response to "our colleagues"...

Not implementing something that's obviously beneficial to IT departments because "that's the way we've always done it" isn't a very good reason :\.

Nobody ever said you have to just "treat the customer like a ticket #". You can still be friendly and interjoined. Ticket systems just make keeping track of ongoing issues and queued tasks easier.

I've worked at both kinds of places - several with ticket systems, and 1 where I interned for a summer as the only IT person where no ticket system was setup. I basically just had a notebook and sticky notes to keep track of when people had issues. Would have been MUCH easier to be able to bring up a piece of software put in a ticket or look one up "oh I still need to fix these issues".

Not implementing something that's obviously beneficial to IT departments because "that's the way we've always done it" isn't a very good reason :\.

Nobody ever said you have to just "treat the customer like a ticket #". You can still be friendly and interjoined. Ticket systems just make keeping track of ongoing issues and queued tasks easier.

I've worked at both kinds of places - several with ticket systems, and 1 where I interned for a summer as the only IT person where no ticket system was setup. I basically just had a notebook and sticky notes to keep track of when people had issues. Would have been MUCH easier to be able to bring up a piece of software put in a ticket or look one up "oh I still need to fix these issues".

Ok, and do the IT support leave there desks and walk around or sit on the phone and pass the info onto the relevant team to handle? remember different size companies operate different

Ok, and do the IT support leave there desks and walk around or sit on the phone and pass the info onto the relevant team to handle? remember different size companies operate different

Depends entirely on the issue man...lol. If you're a technician getting assigned tickets, yes you're going to be leaving your desk and working on the issue physically (unless it's something that you can just do remotely, as that's also an option...which doesn't matter if you have a ticketing system in place or not...). If you're a company that has 'separate' entities for desktop support, networking, security, etc., then yes you would just pass the info along/assign the ticket to the appropriate group.

Otherwise, if you're a tech that's going to be going out and actually working on issues...being assigned a ticket to work on (or creating one) shouldn't be an issue. You're still going to be in contact with the person that contacted you for help, still can chit-chat or w/e while you work on the issue, etc. None of that would change - it's just that you actually have a good way to keep track of who has what tasks assigned to them to work on.

You're lumping 'everything' together and acting like a ticket system will somehow put up a barrier and make people not be social with the client - I fail to understand how you think that will happen.

You can still do exactly what you're doing, but have a better way to keep track of past/ongoing issues.

Last edited:
Depends entirely on the issue man...lol. If you're a technician getting assigned tickets, yes you're going to be leaving your desk and working on the issue physically (unless it's something that you can just do remotely, as that's also an option...which doesn't matter if you have a ticketing system in place or not...). If you're a company that has 'separate' entities for desktop support, networking, security, etc., then yes you would just pass the info along/assign the ticket to the appropriate group.

Otherwise, if you're a tech that's going to be going out and actually working on issues...being assigned a ticket to work on (or creating one) shouldn't be an issue. You're still going to be in contact with the person that contacted you for help, still can chit-chat or w/e while you work on the issue, etc. None of that would change - it's just that you actually have a good way to keep track of who has what tasks assigned to them to work on.

You're lumping 'everything' together and acting like a ticket system will somehow put up a barrier and make people not be social with the client - I fail to understand how you think that will happen.

You can still do exactly what you're doing, but have a better way to keep track of past/ongoing issues.

I know what your saying in general and I don't disagree, but I am saying my private company doesn't do that and it's great because it works still, do you want me to implement a ticket system and get all the staff to wait in line.. You notice the other guys posting mention "customers" and " tickets" , which is my main point about how you treat them and they become customers... Lol. Point proven. I know in a corporate company needs a ticket system.

Anyways... There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Back
Top Bottom