Need a new Laptop

XIII

Beta member
Heres the deal I have $500 in pocket ($520) and im looking to but a Laptop for gaming but I have no ideal on what to look for.

Can someone please help me look for one?

I need one that can run

Company Of Heroes and its Expansions
System requirements
  • CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium IV or AMD Athlon XP or equivalent
  • Hard Drive Space: 6.5 GB
  • DVD-ROM: 8X DVD-ROM
  • RAM: 512 MB RAM
  • Video Card: DirectX 9.0c 64 MB VRAM with Pixel Shader 1.1

Galactic Civilizations Ultimate Edition
System requirements
Minimum:
  • Windows XP SP2 / Vista
  • 800 MHz Processor
  • 256 MB Available System Memory
  • 32 MB DirectX 9.0c Compatible 3D Video Card (32-Bit Color)
  • DirectX 9.0c
  • 56K Internet Connection or Faster for Online Metaverse

Recommended:
  • 1.8 GHz Processor
  • 512 MB Available System Memory
  • 128 MB DirectX 9.0c 3D Video Card

And others like L4D & L4D2 which I don't have the System Requirements to post here

Hi,

Are you in the UK, or US? Or elsewhere? Most are US users, so ill throw up a few I have found after a quick 30 second look.

i3 Core 2.53GHZ, 4GB DDR3 RAM, $549, including shipping and Tax.
Newegg.com - DELL Inspiron 15R (i15R-1570MRB) Notebook Intel Core i3 380M(2.53GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 640GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW Intel HD Graphics

Similar laptop to above, but smaller HardDrive:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG R Series R540-JA06 Notebook Intel Core i3 380M(2.53GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD +/-RW Dual Layer Intel HD Graphics

Neither of these are really 'gaming laptops', but for your budget, you wont get anything thats going to be extreme gaming. However, both Laptops will run / meet the specs you listed (which arent very intense)

You would get more power / performance if you were to buy/build a PC, if you would consider that? But any laptops in and around the specs in those would be ok.

Thanks for that reply, I may be able to bump my price up to $600-$700 before I leave on my trip.

Heres one I just found at the store next to me for $498.
I think its clost to the ones you posted.
Here are the specs.

Dell Black 15.6" Inspiron 15R Laptop PC:

Key Features and Benefits:
  • Intel Core i3 350M processor
    2.26GHz, 3MB cache
  • 4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
    Gives you the power to handle most power hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 500GB SATA hard drive
    Store 333,000 photos, 142,000 songs or 263 hours of HD video and more
  • 8x DVD+/- RW drive
    Watch movies and read write CDs and DVD's in multiple formats
  • 10/100 Ethernet, Intel 6250 Wireless-N with WiMax
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your Inspiron 15R notebook computer
  • 15.6" HD Widescreen LED backlit display
    Intel HD Graphics
Additional Inspiron 15R Notebook Computer Features:
  • 1.3MP webcam
  • 7-in-1 memory card reader
  • Wireless WiMax to provide super fast internet speeds on the go, anywhere you have a WiMax signal. WiMax requires a monthly subscription plan from a wireless carrier, and may not be available in all cities.
  • 3 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x eSATA, 1 x microphone jack, 1 x headphone jack, 1 x line-in jack, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI port
  • 6-cell lithium-ion battery

Ok, well if you have a different budget - let us know and we can throw some more suggestions up. The one you suggested is pretty similar yep, you get just a little less processing power off your CPU.

You arent going to notice masses off difference in the one you listed, against the ones I have, but you usually would associate a 'gaming' rig (Either laptop or PC) to have more than 2.2GHZ.

It will play your games though listed above. The extra few hundred could make a pretty big difference.

I did the math and I should beable to boost my poket money up to around $750

For that price I found this what do you think? Think I can do better?

Dell - Inspiron Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 15.6" Display / 8GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive
Intel® Core™ i5-480M processor
Features a 3MB cache and 2.93GHz processor speed.Intel® Core™ i5 processor
Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't. Intel® HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.8GB DDR3 SDRAM
For multitasking power.Blu-ray Disc-enabled multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
Create custom DVDs and CDs.15.6" WLED high-definition display
With 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.Intel® Wireless Display
Wirelessly transmits streamed or downloaded movies, TV shows, music, photos and more from your laptop, network or the Internet to your TV (NETGEAR Push2TV adapter required, not included).750GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
For fast read/write times.Intel® HD graphics
For lush images and vivid detail. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.Built-in webcam
Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.7-in-1 media reader
Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Plus, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO formats.3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer. One eSATA/USB combo port.Built-in Intel® 6250 wireless networking (802.11b/g/n)
To find and connect to networks with ease, delivering enhanced wireless reception.Embedded 4G WiMAX mobile broadband technology
Gives you an ultrafast mobile Internet connection. (Wireless service contract required; sold separately. Check with carrier for coverage area and availability in your area.)Bluetooth interface
Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.Weighs 5.9 lbs. and measures just 1.25" thin
For easy portability.Long battery life
Of up to 4 hours and 2 minutes to give you more time away from an outlet.Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable computing platform.

Back
Top Bottom