Need a new desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayce, you have a metal desk that costs $700 at most places, so yea, it's built like a tank. I am thinking about buying a few slabs of doors and building a new work bench in the garage, the surface on both them tables is really worn out, especially after having engine blocks sit on them last summer.

The metal isn't anything that fantastic. My exact desk seems to run for 250 brand new on sites I was looking at. There are higher quality desks that can easily peak 700, but when I was Googling around the exact desk I had wasn't near that. What I was concerned about was the solid desk top. I didn't want a desk top that would bow easily if I put a monitor or two on it. Thanks to the door, I don't have to worry about that.

I found countless desks like the one I got on Craigslist for 50 bucks or less. I just had to take my pick and bought it knowing I'd likely replace the desk top.

Speaking of which, you can get creative without having the metal base like I have. I've seen people utilize black galvanized pipe to create the base, legs, etc. I also saw the local hardware store had very thick wooden dowels (huge dowels) on sale, and I couldn't help but to think they'd be nice if I had to build a basic table.

At any rate, a little imagination goes a heckuva lot further than any Ikea desk would go. Personal opinion, though.

I highly recommend the wood door approach as well, especially if you can pick up some old oak doors secondhand for it. my desk is built out of two oak doors, one for the tabletop and a second cut down the middle to make two legs for it. If you finish it nicely and add some trim around the edge of the tabletop you get a stronger, better looking desk than anything you will find from a store for a fraction of the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom