Necroposting and Slower Sub Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Currently TF's definition of Necroposting is posting in the thread that reviving a thread that is 3 months and older. I make a mistake by "necroposting" a thread that was still on the first pages of the Ninendo / Wii subforum as not many people post there.

If you go on to the first page of the Ninendo / Wii, at the bottom of the first page, there is a thread that is about 8 months old.

Anyways, I managed to clear this up with TF and go my warning removed as what happened was a honest mistake. If I really wanted to necropost some thing, i would of gone to the very last page and bumped that thread instread.

Trottor gotten back to me with the suggestion of maybe locking thread that are older than 3 months. This would work great on the more populuare subforums like OT and the Computer Hardware Zone subforums.

However this locking of 3 month old thread is some of the slower subforums like
- Nintendo Wii
- Web Site Hosting / ISP Q & A
- Search Engines & Internet Traffic
- PlayStation 1/2/3/PSP
- Useful Links
- News & Polls
will leave those subforums barren of any active thread. And that would just make TF look uninviting to new users.

I would like to propose that TF rethinks there current definition when it comes down to Necroposting exspecially when it comes down to some of the slower sub-forums.

Very good point on this. We do have a few forums that get very little traffic and have older threads still on the front page. While each one has the date, it is still up front like it is current.

For now, I will pass along word to the mods that in such forums to extend the time frame for necroposting. I will get with Larry about auto-locking old threads.

As long as there aren't any issues with it auto locking active threads that are over 3 months, that is probably one of the better suggestions...

I do worry about the impact that would be on the slower forums. Is there any chance that we can set the forum that is auto locks the that are on the over 3 months provided that they are still not the first page of the subforum.

If/when Larry is able to set it up I will see what I can do with it.

Also, let's not forget the Education subforum. True, the oldest thread on the first page is only about 2 months old, but it still doesn't see a lot of traffic.

I just thought of something about the necroposting rule. Does this rule applied to stickied threads? Because these threads are obviously very valuable, and most of them are old threads, but can still be useful for those in the future, and some might have questions/feedback for them. I personally think this could be a good exception to that rule.

No. Sticky threads, as well as threads linked to in a sticky index, are not liable to necroposting infractions.

Now ya see here son, this is what we call a dead thread, it died as no one was interested or no one had info for it, or the author found the info and decided to let the thread die.

So we burried it, gave it a funeral and let it lie in piece.

Now what ya have don here is Necrothreaded it back into the living realm disturbing its grave and its peace! Why boy, why? The poor thread has suffered enough! Let it rest!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom