Nanotech is gonna kill us?

Gamputer

In Runtime
So I go into this sociology lecture and the prof starts talking about artificial technology coming back to bite the human race. Then he goes on talking about computers, ipods and nanotechnology and says that the faster and faster chips will lead to something called the Grey Goo, and later on, high capacity AI that will dominate human race...

What do you guys think (Matrix much)?

Yeah I suppose its possible, AI that surpasses us in inteligence/brute strength we could have a terminator situation on our hands!

So I go into this sociology lecture and the prof starts talking about artificial technology coming back to bite the human race. Then he goes on talking about computers, ipods and nanotechnology and says that the faster and faster chips will lead to something called the Grey Goo, and later on, high capacity AI that will dominate human race...

All the while it's just a sociology lecturer rambling on, I wouldn't take any notice. If he really knew that much (or anything) about nanotechnology he'd be lecturing on that instead of sociology.

If a respected computer science / electronics lecturer started saying the same thing, THEN I might be a bit more worried.

Sociollogy is one of those subjects like literature, where it can end up just being the bias opinions of the teachers, you need to be careful there.

It's almost like a paradox:

If you invent a computer that is smarter than a human being then that computer could invent other computers that are smarter than it, which in turn would invent even smarter computers. Ultimately, the human race would fall behind in a flash.

AI is dangerous.

meh, we're all dead in 2012 anyways so who cares?

this has been said so many times about past years in the human history.

and i dont think this needs to continue past my post.

but, i think someone out there needs to create a weapon to combat these smart AI's before its to late lol.

someone, make a super virus lol

Yeah I suppose its possible, AI that surpasses us in inteligence/brute strength we could have a terminator situation on our hands!

All (or at least a good portion of the worlds' leading scientists) working together on a secret AI project, could create something FAR more intelligent, strong, and free-thinking than any human ever could be. And if it is this intelligent, it could easily learn to make strong physical materials purposely strengthening itself for one purpose....domination.

All (or at least a good portion of the worlds' leading scientists) working together on a secret AI project, could create something FAR more intelligent, strong, and free-thinking than any human ever could be. And if it is this intelligent, it could easily learn to make strong physical materials purposely strengthening itself for one purpose....domination.

If you invent a computer that is smarter than a human being then that computer could invent other computers that are smarter than it, which in turn would invent even smarter computers. Ultimately, the human race would fall behind in a flash.

AI is dangerous.

Seriously guys... it does seem like you're thinking in science fiction rather than the real world. The world's leading experts in this field have been focusing on AI for a good few decades now, and we're still not at the point where anything they've created, however complex, can hold a simple conversation without giving away the fact it's actually an automated bot underneath.

It's a slow, slow slog, and our intelligence and knowledge as the human race is increasing far more rapidly than any of the bots out there.

Personally, I think if you're going to worry about something being dangerous there's far more pressing things around...!

Back
Top Bottom