Mysterious file loss issue... with windows xp clipboard

scrilla103

Beta member
Problem in brief:
I cold booted during the cutting/pasting of a folder because my computer froze. Upon restarting, the folder has disappeared and is no where to be found. Any ideas?

Full situation:
I have windows xp installed, but it's been getting really slow and may have a virus. It's gotten to the point where I've decided to wipe the HD and reinstall the OS. I wanted to save some files though and gathered them into a folder on my desktop (by cutting and pasting). The computer has been freezing up quite a lot and I've had to cold boot by holding the power button for 8 seconds, more than once. I cut and pasted the folder from my desktop to my shared network folder. The computer froze up, but I gave it time (about an hour) and still nothing. So, I cold booted. When I came back, the folder had disappeared from both locations, and the clipboard is empty. I've run searches and deleted-file recovery utilities, but neither the folder, nor any of it's contents are anywhere to be found. Have they been lost forever? What exactly happens to files being cut/pasted when the computer is cold booted?

Back
Top Bottom