My Raspberry Pi project

Took the shelf down and built a better shelf so I can add the DVD player. It's now my gaming/movies station. :cool:

Forgot the parked pic. I just watched "Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Brendan Fraser)". That movie is a trip.

Last edited:
Damn, that's a nice upgrade. Glad to see they're going super strong and I'm doing fine with my 3B.

9 million sold? Amazing!

Celery and others who know about this stuff, I am trying to do this on my old laptop running Arch, and there are a few emulators available (not Retropie though), and I was hoping if you guys could tell me which ones you have tried or like. The list of available ones for Arch can be found here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gaming#Emulators

I appreciate the help!

That is the website to download ROMs right? I was asking about the emulator, but MAME ROMs seemed to be popular, so I installed sdlmame and qmc2 as the frontend.

I selected ~/Emulators/ROMs/MAME to be my ROM directory, should I just download and extract the .zip, and place it in the ROM directory?

It has emulators as well. Everything you need is there. You can make a folder called roms inside the emulator folder for ease of use.

By the way, in some case you'll need a BIOS file to run it.

I use MAMEUI64.

Roms compatibility is so version dependent so with any MAME version you use make sure you get the rom set of the same version; e.g. MAME 0.177 and rom set 0.177.

In the ROM folder extract the .zip pack but in its own folder, not directly to the ROM folder root; e.g. roms177.zip to a folder called roms177 under the ROM folder. Games' roms will be in their own .zip files - don't extract those. All of this is important if you want to keep updating MAME and the roms.

To update, all you have to do is extract the updated MAME to the current MAME folder over righting the files, and the roms update to the ROM folder in its own folder under ROM folder right next to the first rom pack and then just add that new folder in the settings.

In the settings add those roms folders separately, including the first rom pack and the rom updates. Roms updates aren't necessarily the whole rom set for a game, it could be just a small segment that will be automatically used to update the older rom set when games start. Only the first ever downloaded rom set will be really huge then the updates will be relatively small.

Back
Top Bottom