My PC freezes when moving mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumblut

Beta member
Sometimes when I just move the mouse around (not clicking) the PC freezes. The only way to get to thaw out is to reboot.

The easiest way to get it to freeze is to cruise the mouse over the shortcuts in the Program menu (START, All Programs). It freezes every time this way.

I am using XP Pro with a K7T Pro Ver:1 motherboard and an AMD Athlon 850 CPU. I have tried switching out the CPU, power supply, motherboard, memory and video card. Even with everything unplugged accept for the essentials, it still freezes up. Maybe the case is jinxed?

I am kinda new at this computer stuff and would appreciate any help in solving this weird problem.

You tried Switching out all that!? You should have tried putting the HD in a computer in perfect condition instead of doing all that. I had a similar problem with my keyboard, except worse-every time I pressed a key on the keyboard, the computer froze and I had to restart. (look at the thread I posted: Spybot Deleted viruse in registry) You might try a repair with an xp pro installation cd. How much RAM do you have? Does your computer run slow usually?

try taking out that hard drive, and putting it in another comp, along with another hard drive. ie- make it the slave drive. then run spyware scans and virus scans

Thank you, kfc469 and kpmwrestler for your advice on fixing the mouse-freeze problem.

I have not tried the HD in another computer because I don't have another. But when I find one I will try that.

I have two HDs installed, one with XP pro and the other XP home. I tried booting with each one and had the same exact problem of freezing when moving the mouse around. It doesn't always happen, but happens often enough to be very bothersome. Possibly both operating systems cought the same virus by being in the same computer (one as master with the other as slave)?

I did run AVG antivirus and Spybot. I guess I should run the whole smear of antispy programs and the other things suggested by Warez Monster.

dumblut said:
Thank you, kfc469 and kpmwrestler for your advice on fixing the mouse-freeze problem.

I have not tried the HD in another computer because I don't have another. But when I find one I will try that.

I have two HDs installed, one with XP pro and the other XP home. I tried booting with each one and had the same exact problem of freezing when moving the mouse around. It doesn't always happen, but happens often enough to be very bothersome. Possibly both operating systems cought the same virus by being in the same computer (one as master with the other as slave)?

I did run AVG antivirus and Spybot. I guess I should run the whole smear of antispy programs and the other things suggested by Warez Monster.

well did ya run them all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom