My PC Always Restarts

Exclikers

Baseband Member
Hi guys.. i got a problem with my PC..

i use Windows XP SP3 by Ammit OS..

when i open a program like windows media player, it runs good.. but when i close it and open it again, the computer restarts...

What is the problem??

i dont know where.. anybody can help me??

wow thats strange

do a virus and spyware scan 1st, ok download avg free google.com will help then also download spybot google.com will help once you downloaded them simply update both stright away and then once its updated go into safemode and scan them and turn of system restore before you scan.

if youn understand then message me back with the actions

It can be a few things, a driver confliction with another program, when did this start? have you installed anything new recently that is clashing with WMP?, scan your PC for a viruses in case you have picked up some adware, run an spy ware program as well as not all adware are picked up by AVs, check your system temps to see if your computers hot? clean you PC from dust if it hasn't had one for while, my computer sometimes randomly restarts every 5-6month or so and it is always either the heatsinc is covered in dust or the ram is so a gentle clean puts me back on track.

Well, that's probably not the problem. Over heating probably isn't the problem either..

I assume that you have went through the whole process before, experimenting I guess you may call it. Open WMP, Computer restarts, Open WMP After everything boots up, Restarts and so on? It may be something you have newly installed, and yes, it may be driver conflicts.. but rarly I believe.. If you don't catch any viruses, and my guess is it probably doesn't have much to do with a virus considering it's just WMP that restarts. The reason I ruled out over heating is because I'm sure you have tried opening it right after you turn your computer on the next day.. The ram the same way.. the computer restarts so the ram is ok.. lol

Like Antdemo said, go ahead and get AVG and run that, then spybot.
It's always good to clean out your computer, like blackjack said, so go ahead and do that, you may be surprised as to what is in there :D.

Click Start, then open Control Panel
Click Performance and Maintenance
Click System
Click on the Advanced Tab
Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
Uncheck Automatically Restart in the System failure section

and cause it could be the ram, trying to access a bad spot in your system memory (RAM) can cause the computer to freak out and restart.

Also, sometimes this can be caused by an overheating situation. Itunes, RealPlayer, Windows Media player, etc. require a lot of processing power to decompress and decode music files, which can cause the processor or hard drive to get hot.

Captain it could be alot of problems

If he has a horrible computer :D

And yes, I agree, it could be alot of problems, but we need more information if none of that stuff works..

I see you have service pack 3 installed, as it has not been officially released yet
could it be that I wonder? how long have you been running with that update and have you tried running a windows repair.? run a chkdsk to see if you have any bad sectors on your drive, as for ram you could try running off one stick to see if you get the same problem, then if you don't then you have found your problem, I still think as its only happening with WMP that it is a driver or registry problem.

Ah, Media Player Classic. It's almost the same thing.. :)
I guess a valid question would be does this happen with quicktime or any other media program? If not, it probably is your drivers..

And BlackJack wins the race!! or does he?
*Antdemo running in the background*

Alright, In my computer class, and this was happening with one of my teachers computers that we were fixing. Well, It seems the computer would restart multiple times.. so we just switched the case and it worked fine. The only difference between the two were the fan. There was one extra fan in the computer that kept restarting..

Guess it was sucking to much power? But you said your computer worked before, So I guess this doesn't apply to you. Unless you added something..

Back
Top Bottom