My newest toy, System76 Oryx Pro

Legodude522

Daemon Poster
I decided I had too many computers and it was time to sell everything I had and switch to powerful laptop. Sold my gaming desktop, my MSI gaming laptop, and my iMacs. My goal was to just have one computer to do everything I want. I already have a paid Dropbox subscription and a local NAS with 4tb of mirrored storage which helps give me a little bit more freedom with storage needs. I liked my MSI gaming laptop a lot but it had some minor design flaws that were enough to be annoying. I decided to give System76 a try this time around. Their laptops are built for power users in mind and have full hardware support for Linux. To save a few dollars, I ordered the laptop with stock storage and memory and upgraded those myself.

System76 Oryx Pro
15.6" Matte 144Hz Full HD 1080p
Intel i7-10875 5.1 GHz H (2.3 up to 5.1 GHz - 16MB Cache - 8 Cores -16 Threads)
Nvidia 8 GB GDDR6 RTX 2070 w/ 2304 CUDA Cores
Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Laptop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2)
PNY XLR8 CS3030 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD), Read up to 3,500
PNY XLR8 CS3030 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD), Read up to 3,500
Linux Pop!_OS
Microsoft Windows 10 Professional

oryx pro.jpeg

oryx pro internal.jpeg

Not bad considering the config I used was sub (barely) 2K. But I did go with Ubuntu, for what I have read, is better at gaming (steam) support. But then I'm not a power user, just more a click and drag kinda guy. LOL

BTW... LOVE the desktop pic!! DS9 FTW!

Not bad considering the config I used was sub (barely) 2K. But I did go with Ubuntu, for what I have read, is better at gaming (steam) support. But then I'm not a power user, just more a click and drag kinda guy. LOL

BTW... LOVE the desktop pic!! DS9 FTW!
There's been a lot of changes to Linux gaming that I need to catch up on. Stuff like Lutris and Vulkan. I gave StarCraft Remastered a try and it was less than perfect, had trouble with multiple screens and windowed mode. From what I read, Linux gaming should be near perfect so it may be some configurations on my end. Either way, I have Windows 10 Professional setup on my second drive. I'm thinking it may be easier to install everything on the Windows partition and then I can run the game that was installed on the Windows partition under Linux rather than installing the game in Linux. Then of course I have the Windows OS to fall back on for gaming if I have issues that I cannot resolve. I was able to purchase a legitimate Windows 10 Pro license online for only $39.

I congratulate you, man! I'm happy that you did it since you recently put together your perfect gaming computer. With the coronavirus's new circumstances, it is almost impossible to build a computer for little money. I was assembling a laptop using the gaming laptop buying guide on popular sites to sell already used things. As a basis, I chose the excellent old AMD FX 6300 processor. I took it with a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 motherboard and 8+2GB ddr3 RAM. The RX470 4GB is a pretty good graphics card for its price. I chose the power supply unit from Thermaltake for 650w and the housing from Zalman. As an SSD, I took 120GB from Kingston.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom