My new rig... that won't run...

d rob1031

Solid State Member
First post here... sorry to say its all bad news.

I just got my parts from newegg shipped and here's what I got...

ASUS P2WD2 Premium
P4 3.0Ghz Prescott 2MB cache, 800mhz
1Gb OCZ 533mhz DDR2
Radeon X800XL
Thermaltake Purepower 420W PSU

The thing won't even turn on. I'm getting a green light from the mobo. I've tured my power switch around countless times to see if anything happens. I've reseated everything/reconnect all power cables. Tried my old 250W PSU (from my old P4 system) and still got nothing. Is there anything I could be over looking? I've posted in a different forum and tried all they recommened and come up with nothing... any help is appreciated.

If I don't post back soon it's because it's the 4th and I'm probably drunk somewhere :)

Well, the memory should be a thing to check. Also, your CPU is something else to try...Do you hear an beeps?

lhuser said:
Well, the memory should be a thing to check. Also, your CPU is something else to try...Do you hear an beeps?

I don't hear anything at all... the only thing electrical that works is the green light on the mobo.

Well, you should check your memory and CPU. These are the main things to check then...

If they are fine (Can be broken even if you bought it from the box), your mobo's fried or can't recieve a signal

Hard drives spinning BTW?

Hard drives dont spin

One thing I did notice is I got a power converter from Thermaltake that is molex to 6-pin but my mobo has an 8-pin plug on it. I looked at it in the manual and it says you can use either the 4-pin or 8-pin... won't turn on with the 4-pin and don't have an 8-pin converter.

How do I go about checking the CPU and RAM? I don't have a back up of anything since I just switched from AGP, socket 748 to PCI-e and socket 775.

Take the old mobo and test your CPU and RAM...wait, is 748 AMD?

If the Hard drives don't spin, there may be a problem with the mobo, but check your CPU and RAM first

lhuser said:
Take the old mobo and test your CPU and RAM...wait, is 748 AMD?

I'm dislexic... it's a 478, sorry. My old mobo doesn't take DDR, takes RAMBUS.

If the cpu fan is faulty or misinstalled the machine won't boot, beep or anything else.

xx cobra xx said:
umm strange, make sure your CPU is in correct

Is there any fool proof way to make sure it's in correct... It only fits one way and the plate goes over it just fine. When i push the load lever down it takes more force than I'd like to put on it but when I looked at it after installing it nothing was bent and it was sitting in there just fine... I'll take another look at it...

Back
Top Bottom