My linksys router is dying and I need advise on a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadrobot

Baseband Member
First off this is my router
war01.JPG

As stated it seems that my router is dying. (not to surprised it is about 4-5 years old and to be honest I haven't been taking very good care of it) Regretably I never really learned much networking (always prefered hardware and thats why I got my A+ instead of cisco or anything else) But when I went to my local Fry's all they were selling is 802.11g. Now all I know in the difference between a,b,g, or even ag is speed :confused:

My question is if anyone can recomend a new wireless/wired (we have 2 computers using wired and a wireless laptop) router. Linksys is the top of line brand from what I know and see (in prices) but also I was looking at Netgear and D-link which were noticably cheaper.

Also would anything have to be changed to use a G router instead? On a side note what is the advantage to a G over B?

Let me answer your questions in reverse.

If you have a 802.11b or 802.11g card you will be able to get a 802.11b or 802.11g router....doesn't matter. They both work off of 2.4GHz so the frequency doesn't change. Only the maximum speed. I only recommend getting a G card if you are getting a G router because I'm picky like that. But a G router will be backwards compatable with a B card (at a max of 11mbps of course). A G card with a G router will grant a max up to 54mbps (unless you get a "SuperG" or "DoubleG" card/router that claim up to 108mbps). At any rate, my personal recommendation would be the following because I really like the fixes they made in v5:

LINKSYS WRT54GL

LINKSYS WMP54G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom