my graphics card not performing up to standard

iamroot

Daemon Poster
I just bought a nvidia geforce FX 5500 256 MB RAM and discovered that it wasn't performing like what i had expected. In fact, it was a scarce bit better than my old geforce 4 mx 128 MB RAM. I tried playing hitman contracts and found that the default display settings were all set to optimum such as trillinear and 1024 x 768. But the game was super laggy. Anybody help me out here?

OK...try to stay with me. I have posted something like this about FarCry not too long ago.

Today's graphic engines are incredible. The CryEngine is probably the most impressive to date. But there are others. Hitman Contracts uses an engine similar to the Splinter Cell – Pandora's Box engine. A graphic card to power this game at full power requires a top of the line computer to help. A graphic card alone can not do the amount of processing required to display screen.

I have a Radeon 9800Pro with a 3.06 hyper-thread with 512RAM and I cannot play Splinter Cell – Pandora's Box at max settings. There is just too much going on. I have my settings set to AA 2x and my Aniso turned to 4x at 1024x768. I like to see the texture with detail (Aniso controls the texture level) and it runs beautifully.

The best recommendation I can offer is to set the game to max resolution 1280x960 or better. Then turn off AA and Aniso. Then run the game. Hopefully that will get the graphics you want. If you want more then start to increase AA until it starts to jump. That will be your limits.

In simple terms, you don't have the right computer and/or graphic card to run Hitman at optimum settings.

If you want to see the difference in graphic cards, install futuremark and test your system with each graphic card and see the difference. Then leave in your new one and crank up the AA and Aniso settings and watch your performance go down the drain.

yes its not just the graphics card its the computer as well i have the same graphics card as you my computer is amd 64 based ive yet to push it too its limits.

i dont play the same games as you i play stuff such as gta and judge dredd they dont need that much power to look good.

Games are the hardest on your graphics card. Most applications (excluding rendering applications), older games and even some newer games are good. But when you play games as your primary focus for having a computer then good graphics aren't enough. Us gamers need GREAT graphics. I had a Matrox G400 and it will run better then my Radeon 9800Pro when it comes to rendering a 3D model in Pro/E, but with the Matrox half the maps for UT2003 are unplayable due to jumping.

The most powerful game engine to date is the CryEngine. Other games with incredible engines are Hitman Contract, Splinter Cell – Pandora's Box, UT2004 and one that is the oldest that is very strong is the C&C Generals (but this mostly due to the activity going on).

Right now the hardest hit on a graphic cards in games is fog. Fog in any game has the potential to maxing out a graphic card. Other elements that put strain on your graphic card is anything that is transparent, i.e. water, dust, clouds (only if you can see through them). These have the most texture driven components to any computer game.

I can't wait to see Doom III and Half-life II, these are going to eat the other engines…so they say. But wasn't Doom III and Half-life II supposed to be out on Halloween 2003!?! This release is like the Engerizer Bunny…the release date just keeps going and going and going.

yeah, the videocard cant handle them shit by it self, you gotta help the videocard out with the processor and ram, the faster your computer is, the faster your vidcard will proform

Back
Top Bottom