my grandafthers pc is kinda screwed up help?

intelboi

Baseband Member
well my grampa called me up about his pc. he had over 150 trojans. the man wont pay for virus protection or anything and since i moved he wont tell me about the pc till it gets bad. this time it was. now i tryed to run a virus scan and delete everything but things just got worse. stuff popped up every where. so i decided it was time for a format. but the thing is i formated but instead or formateing it partioned. so now i have like a c: drive that is 72 gigs and a h: drive witch is only 4gigs (pc has a 80 gig hdd). now i cant access my c: drive and i cant delete niether partition. the h: drive is set to tboot and i cant figure out how to change anything. the h: drive only has 234 megs free. now im ready to take the pc to a pro and have them do it. unless any1 has any other ideas. and does any1 know about how much it would cost to have a pro wipe the hdd and start from new?

my grampa doesnt have his os disks or system restore disks either. he lost em

shhh. i bootlegged a copy of xp from a website that im not gonna give out unless you pm me

sorry for such a long post. id like not to take the pc to a pro cuz i need the money for a new monitor my ole trusty crt took a dump on me.

Just boot it from the CD and erase the partitions and format the entire drive. It shouldn't be that hard. When the selections come up were to install the OS just delete them both and reformat it.

Its been a while since i've re installed anything so I can't remember the exact procedure but its listed right under the boot volumes what options you have. Just delete them and re install. You shouldn't need to make any partitions on a 80GIG drive.

After you get everything set back up download avast for him. Its a completely free Anti Virus app. The only thing you need to do is register it after like 90 days then they send you a key for a year subscription. You just do that each year for a new key. They just disable some features in basic.

There is a free utility for pretty much everything you need to keep a PC running. Granted there not as fast as apps you have to pay for but there free.

As for it being a boot legged copy thats irrelevant. The original XP key should be located somewhere on the PC. When you have to put the key in put his key in. It doesn't matter thereafter as long as your key is legal.

Also download Spybot search and destroy or AVG anti-spyware free edition for spyware/adware and trojans. I use AVG free edition for my anti-virus program and my PC runs great.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;758019 said:
Just boot it from the CD and erase the partitions and format the entire drive. It shouldn't be that hard. When the selections come up were to install the OS just delete them both and reformat it.

Its been a while since i've re installed anything so I can't remember the exact procedure but its listed right under the boot volumes what options you have. Just delete them and re install. You shouldn't need to make any partitions on a 80GIG drive.

After you get everything set back up download avast for him. Its a completely free Anti Virus app. The only thing you need to do is register it after like 90 days then they send you a key for a year subscription. You just do that each year for a new key. They just disable some features in basic.

There is a free utility for pretty much everything you need to keep a PC running. Granted there not as fast as apps you have to pay for but there free.

As for it being a boot legged copy thats irrelevant. The original XP key should be located somewhere on the PC. When you have to put the key in put his key in. It doesn't matter thereafter as long as your key is legal.

He has a big problem here he says he doesn't have the OS disc's so he cant boot from the CD, He will have to buy another OS disc then start from scratch.

Reformatting the computer before getting all the required software ready was very foolish, you should always have the OS disc, Motherboard disc, and any driver discs to hand before attempting a format, you will have to tell Grandpa to buy another OS or find it by other means, A good free AV and Firewall IS COMODO, so download that, I would also recommend getting some imaging software like NORTON GHOST or ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE to back up your drive immediately once its up and running.

Back
Top Bottom