my future plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNiGHTMaRe89

In Runtime
i attend a private vocational high school...i will be going into my senior year...the shop i am in is computer technician...well, i have been a tech in the shop for 3 years now...but i have worked with computers since i was a wee lad...i am IC3 certified, and i just passed my A+ Hardware...im taking software next month. Anyways, im not sure i want to attend a regular college. im thinking about a trade school...maybe like CHI, Cittone, ITT etc. Im thinking of going into one of their networking programs or graphics/web design. my question is...am i doing the right thing? or should i go to a regular college? in senior year, the school helps find students co-op jobs...we have to school half day and go to work after 12. for the computer tech's, they're looking at Lockheed Martin, starting at 12 bucks an hour...i dont think thats half bad for a high school graduate. well, now i am rambling...so, what could be my possible choices in the computer field?

KNiGHTMaRe89 said:
i attend a private vocational high school...i will be going into my senior year...the shop i am in is computer technician...well, i have been a tech in the shop for 3 years now...but i have worked with computers since i was a wee lad...i am IC3 certified, and i just passed my A+ Hardware...im taking software next month. Anyways, im not sure i want to attend a regular college. im thinking about a trade school...maybe like CHI, Cittone, ITT etc. Im thinking of going into one of their networking programs or graphics/web design. my question is...am i doing the right thing? or should i go to a regular college? in senior year, the school helps find students co-op jobs...we have to school half day and go to work after 12. for the computer tech's, they're looking at Lockheed Martin, starting at 12 bucks an hour...i dont think thats half bad for a high school graduate. well, now i am rambling...so, what could be my possible choices in the computer field?

Go to a traditional school that is respected. You will find out that the degree is worth so much more. These schools that say you will find a job no problem etc, are ********. They are trying to sell you something that is not true. Half of their staff are not properly educated. It is like secondary highschool, so to speak.

As for making 12 dollars an hour, that is around 24k a year. Just alone benefits and everything will cost you around 10k a year (good benefits). With the rising stand of living, you simpy do not have the means to survive with a salary like that. Bottom line is you need a 4 year degree to survive in this country :). As for your choices in the computer field you will have to research or search the forum. But your choices in the computer field without a 4 year degree are very limited.

my teachers always told me experience is golden. I suggest you take the job at Lockheed.

I was in the same boat as you right outta HS. I went to votech. Graduated with Honors. Votech got me a tech interview. Company hires me part time doing entry level tech work. I attended a community college Full Time for computer networking engineering. At the job, I gained more and more responsibilities and respect. I complete a 2 year degree. Company hires me Full Time. I recently completed MS certs. Now, time to takesome badass vacation time, w00t!!!! I will be attending college next semester to complete a 4 year degree. I think most of my credits will transfer.

get a job in the field and goto school for computers. that way you're always using computers. practice makes perfect. it also makes an excellent tech. The more skills you have the more marketable you are.

csamuels said:
my teachers always told me experience is golden. I suggest you take the job at Lockheed.

I was in the same boat as you right outta HS. I went to votech. Graduated with Honors. Votech got me a tech interview. Company hires me part time doing entry level tech work. I attended a community college Full Time for computer networking engineering. At the job, I gained more and more responsibilities and respect. I complete a 2 year degree. Company hires me Full Time. I recently completed MS certs. Now, time to takesome badass vacation time, w00t!!!! I will be attending college next semester to complete a 4 year degree. I think most of my credits will transfer.

get a job in the field and goto school for computers. that way you're always using computers. practice makes perfect. it also makes an excellent tech. The more skills you have the more marketable you are.

Your teacher is right, experience is golden. But not experience in a field which has nothing to do with your future profession. If you do decide to go to college, you will most likly change your current state of mind and realize you dont want to be slaving as a tech when you graduate. I have noticed most kids who like computers in highschool want to become techs because thats more of a trade and they have been technically engaged in these things from the time they began using a computer.

However, there are far more specialized computing fields which pay a lot more and are far more rewarding. But again, everyone has different needs and wants. The choice is up to you.

If you do want to be a tech I do not think you really need a college. Maybe just a community college to get the training. But there is nothing wrong with going to college and bettering yourself, and it will always help in the job market.

raross said:
Your teacher is right, experience is golden. But not experience in a field which has nothing to do with your future profession. If you do decide to go to college, you will most likly change your current state of mind and realize you dont want to be slaving as a tech when you graduate. I have noticed most kids who like computers in highschool want to become techs because thats more of a trade and they have been technically engaged in these things from the time they began using a computer.

However, there are far more specialized computing fields which pay a lot more and are far more rewarding. But again, everyone has different needs and wants. The choice is up to you.

If you do want to be a tech I do not think you really need a college. Maybe just a community college to get the training. But there is nothing wrong with going to college and bettering yourself, and it will always help in the job market.

i actually want to be a tech...have been since i was able to learn how to type. anyways, i do want to further my knowledge though, maybe get network+ or something along those lines...something dealing w/ graphics and web design too...

You only live one time friend. No second chances. Go to the best college you can afford directly from high school.

Let me give you a word problem to get you started in your higher education: A man had three friends, one went to Yale, one went to a State University, and one became an MCSE. All things being equal, who made the most money over the course of their lives, enjoyed the most respect, and wielded the most power and responsibility?

Answer.

1. The friend that went to Yale. Not only did he have the prestige and job offers lined up when he graduated but he had the gift that keeps on giving: namely a presitigous alumni network to go to over the course of his life as he moves through increasingly better positions of responsibility. (Note: By the way I actually know a guy that went to Yale and that is EXACTLY how it worked).

Now, if you have to settle for a state university, do it anyway! Don't not go to a state college or better. View certs as secondary to your primary college of choice and not an "end unto themselves. They are fun to get, you learn something each time you succeed in getting a new one, and they make good wallpaper; however, your primary college choice and degree comes first. Go full time if you can. My experienced humble opinion.

I agree. It is a proven fact that going to the most elite college you can get into will allow you to have the greatest amount of life chances. Even if it is just a state school, it is 100 times better then that community college and a community college is 100 times better then just highschool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom