my freeforums.org experience

compguy91

Fully Optimized
I had a forum hosted through freeforums.org, it was free and had no ads which was nice. It also had a few mods to choose from which was also pretty cool. Basically on paper, this host looked really good. I wasn't looking for much, just a free PHPBB forum host for a member base of about 15 people with no ads.

It turns out, the experience was awful. Since I joined in June I had countless numbers of white screens, errors saying the server was being transferred, and to top it all off the server crashed and everything beyond June 30th was lost. I was furious and decided to shut down the forum and move elsewhere. I wrote an email telling them about my experience. Well, they didn't respond which is typical. Because of their lack of interest in customer's thoughts I'm telling you all about this. In other words, just DON'T use freeforums.org, they're the worst host I've ever used an d they don't give a crap about their members.
I ended up going to IPBfree.com which is Invision Power Board based and it's awesome! It does have ads, but it's well worth it since it's stable and has lots of features.

igotfree is pretty good. unlimited bandwidth, disk space, php, etc.. oh and you get 1 free mysql database, so you can set up a forum and do wtf you want with it. someone posted that site on here not long ago and its good. heres my forum so far.
id give it a go if i were you

InvisionFree is another good host. They use the older version of Invision Power Board (1.3 or something?) but they have lots of skins you can install, a great modding community, fast servers and they backup everything. :)

I haven't tried IPBFree but it looks interesting.

IPB Free is great. It's Invision 2.1, only trouble is skins are hard to install but I'm still learning. I prefer Invision over PHPBB, invision seems more secure and has more settings. PHPBB had too many bots.

IPB Free is great. It's Invision 2.1, only trouble is skins are hard to install but I'm still learning. I prefer Invision over PHPBB, invision seems more secure and has more settings. PHPBB had too many bots.
Actually it's not running Invision Power Board 2.1, it's running a modified version of 1.3. They just named their modified version IPBFree 2.1. I set up a new forum with them and the copyright says Powered by IP.Board v1.3 © 2003 - iPBFree v.2.1 © 2007

oh ok. Either way, I still think it's cool. I just googled IPBFree and that's what came up. So far no problems and I'll be sticking to it, my only complaint is that skins are hard to install and I'm still trying to figure that out. It's not simple like with PHPBB.

Back
Top Bottom