my first guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
So I just bought my first guitar....I played the violin from 3 - 16 and was pretty **** good at it, won a bunch of awards and stuff...but I never enjoyed it, it just wasn't my instrument. (was forced to play it :mad: )

So now 6 years later I bought a guitar...it's an electro-acoustic guitar..nothing too fancy but it seems pretty nice....mahogany back/sides with a solid spruce top.

I'm already starting to get some blisters. I think I'm going to go back in a couple days and get the action reduced if thats what you call it.

I would like to get pretty good on this then start learning on an electric guitar as well... Might go electric pretty quickly though as I really like electric finger tapping and I know a lot of cool classical pieces from my violin days that sound great on the guitar...

anyway here are some pics...I got a cutaway just in case I wanted to play some higher notes and also IMO it looks better

whatcha think? I know nothing about guitars but this one has a very nice feel, simple styling, nice and light and just caught my eye so I went for it.

[URL=http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=27-103146L&y=2007&m=06&t=jpg&rand=9773&srv=img5]
[/URL]

action does seem a little high in the one pic but it could just be the angle. if you think blisters are bad, lol, you should be playing until they are bleeding. yourll get nice calouses quickly that way.

anyway, IMO, i woulda went with an electric first cuz they are easier to learn on

f you think blisters are bad, lol, you should be playing until they are bleeding. yourll get nice calouses quickly that way.

That is probably the best advice you could get. Calouses are very important to be able to play for a long time. I remember when I started piano, it was insanely hard for me to play for more than a half hour or so because of my arms and wrists being so weak. I had to do finger excercises (squeezing, etc) and build up forearms. Now, I can play for quite a while before I get tired. I dont get to play on a real piano (I have 3 keyboards and an organ instead), so my endurance has really gone down.

Strength is key to playing for a long time. You're wrists and hands will be better inclined to the guitar since you played violin, but your strumming arm/hand wont be so used to it. Good luck!

action does seem a little high in the one pic but it could just be the angle. if you think blisters are bad, lol, you should be playing until they are bleeding. yourll get nice calouses quickly that way.

anyway, IMO, i woulda went with an electric first cuz they are easier to learn on
I've never played an electric. Been going for six years.

Really, it's not easier, but you learn better, because you're forced to improvise some if you ever try to do a solo or whatnot.

learning on acoustic is better, IMO, because it builds up the strength in your hands/fingers more quickly and promotes callous growth faster.

then when you pick up an electric, you'll be amazed at how easy it is and how much faster you can play

Definitely learn on an acoustic. Your playing will be much clearer if you do. Electrics hide alot of your mistakes given most of your playing is distorted. Acoustic, you hear every part of your playing and if you hit a wrong note or mess up, you'll hear it loud and clear. I've been playing for 15 years, I started on an acoustic then got an electric a few years later and it helped me alot. If you're just starting out on guitar, Get your chords and scales down. It seems a bit trivial but it's very good stuff to know. Most importantly have fun with that thing. That's the most important part.

i have to agree with them, I played piano for 9 years....and just recently switched to guitar...i have an acoustic/electric....i've played till my fingers are bleeding and it was totally worth it because after i recovered i could play for hours on end.....btw i've been known to sit and bang out notes on a piano for upwards of 3 hrs (depending on the mood)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom