My first Build

Brian1963

Solid State Member
My “FIRST” build??!!?? :confused:I am looking for opinions and thoughts on my choices. It started with me wanting to upgrade my current HP Pavilion m9250t to 3D.Not worth it. So after months of research (note: very bad on reading reviews 10 bad out of 1000 I think what if that happens to me) I would like an all around computer and be able to upgrade. I like to play games watch movies listen to music (over 300 hundred movies on hard drive and 15000 songs) I plan on hooking up to my Yamaha AV receiver and to my Samsung 3D TV. I picked 1st CPU 2ND Motherboard with thought of video card 3RD video card 4th case 5TH sound card (not sure if I even need, kind of afterthought) 6th RAM. Have not picked hard drive, thinking 1TB and using one or both 500GB drives from old computer, (HELP)??Would like to have blue ray, 3D DVD would like it to write both not sure yet on kind (HELP)??Power HOW MUCH?? Sorry if too much info.
Here are my picks: :thumb:
or :nonono: Have not bought yet!!!!

CPU: Intel i7-2700 sandy bridge
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper
Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N660C-2G GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (mid tower)
Sound card: OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192 KHz PCI Interface (not even sure if needed)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
Hard Drive or drives:???
Power:???
I Have learned a lot (or maybe not:facepalm:
) may be in over my head.
Thanks in advance for any help.

This looks like a nice setup. I'd add to that a 256GB Sandisk Extreme SSD as your Windows disk, plus a 2TB SATA3 Western Digital or Seagate hard disk for data. If you are collecting HD movies, then you'll need all the hard disk space you can get.

Mobo-wise I'd personally would go for Asus or ASRock, but the Sniper is also a great board.

I would get the 3570k I5 instead of the I7, it has an unlocked multiplier, which is good for oc'ing, and since most games dont take advantage of 4 threads, let alone 8, the i5 will also save you money. You won't need the soundcard, but if you've got an elaborate speaker setup and want a high end card to go with it, i would get an asus or creative card. Hard drive, 2tb seagate drives arn't bad, as for power, i think a 750w corsair or antec will do you well, no less than 600w. If you plan to oc' then i would get a better hsf and thermal paste, maybe cooler master 212 and arctic silver 5 :) I'd say a 64-128gb ssd at the most, yes their fast but their extemely expensive at 256gb, and if you had that, what would you use a hdd for? For HD movies i'd recomend a blue ray drive.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras and More! this place has all the cake if you've got all the dough.

@Brian1963,

In my opinion, the most important piece of information absolutely necessary to provide you with some advice, is simply, What Is Your Budget???

If money is not an issue, my advice would be totally different, than it would be if your build is based on a very limited amount of funds.

Back
Top Bottom