My first attempt at an Icon... thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaJay

Troll Patrol
I've recently gotten interested in collecting custom icons for my PC games.

Unfortunately, people often don't make icons for older games; or in this case, the game just came out yesterday so no one has had time yet.

So, I decided to take a crack at it. This is my first attempt at any sort of graphical design, I downloaded GIMP today and just sort of played with the tools until I had a novice idea what I was doing.

It's mostly just a lot of cutting and pasting from concept or box art.

Edit: Alright, I just finished my little 'Tomb Raider Collection' of icons. So here they are, games 1-6 :)

tomb_raider_1_icon_by_joshuajay-d3hww20.png
tomb_raider_2_icon_by_joshuajay-d3hwol2.png
tomb_raider_3_icon_by_joshuajay-d3hwgz3.png

tomb_raider_4_icon_by_joshuajay-d3hww3a.png
tomb_raider_5_icon_by_joshuajay-d3hy8bf.png
angel_of_darkness_icon_2_by_joshuajay-d3hzgfu.png

Started on the last 3:
tomb_raider_legend_icon_by_joshuajay-d3hzaaw.png
tomb_raider_anniversary_icon_by_joshuajay-d3hzhgg.png
tomb_raider_underworld_icon_2_by_joshuajay-d3hzghx.png

Finally, all done. Yay! I actually made a lot of icons trying to find which ones I liked best, these are just the top 9.

All of them can be viewed Here

Nice work, man. Seriously. I saw "icon" in the title and thought "favicon" for some reason. >.<

Have you already resized them? If so, what are you using to do it?

I made them in 256x256 as the .png file, that's the standard size for an icon image (can be viewed as 'Extra Large' all the way to 'Small' or 'List' in Windows folders option) so I don't need to resize it at all, it will do it auto when I select how I wish to view it. Same thing happens with a .ico file.

Though, I used GIMP for everything I did; including the resizing.

They just show up large there because it will default to it's maximum size. Does that answer? I'm new to all this image lingo.

I made them in 256x256 as the .png file, that's the standard size for an icon image (can be viewed as 'Extra Large' all the way to 'Small' or 'List' in Windows folders option) so I don't need to resize it at all, it will do it auto when I select how I wish to view it. Same thing happens with a .ico file.

Though, I used GIMP for everything I did; including the resizing.

They just show up large there because it will default to it's maximum size. Does that answer? I'm new to all this image lingo.

They look really great but contain too much fine detail that will be lost when shown at a tiny size. The third one will likely work better than the first
two at the smallest sizes. The idea behind an "Icon" is that it will convey information (you can distinguish it from other Icons) at all (reasonable) sizes.

They look really great but contain too much fine detail that will be lost when shown at a tiny size. The third one will likely work better than the first
two at the smallest sizes. The idea behind an "Icon" is that it will convey information (you can distinguish it from other Icons) at all (reasonable) sizes.

They are meant to be viewed as 'Large' or "Extra Large' where they lose no detail.

When you use tiny icons, it will look really distorted and wont enlarge properly if you do wish to view it larger. I've found that at least for game icons, people like them 256x256 cause a lot tend to use dock applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom