my first 14 hour shift ... Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a shift worker... yesterday I worked from 10:00AM to 6:00PM, today I work from 9:00PM to 7:00AM. So far the longest shift I have worked was 16 hours... man I was tired.

I've pulled a good share of 12-14 hours shifts myself, it was all tech retail, though, so nothing too physical. Circuit City used to have me pull about 12 hours on Saturday and 10-12 on Sunday when I was in high school. I ended up working 10-12 hours a day at Officemax cause they were so short staffed when I was there. I'd start work at 2pm and it would be just me (supervisor), one manager, and on cashier from then until the store closed at 10pm. Then it would be a mandatory 2-4hr ritual of cleaning, stocking, paperwork, etc. At least I was paid by the hour :)

I install commercial pools and spas, so I'm never home. I live in hotels, and I work 80+ hours a week. Talk about not having a life. All manual labor, no desk job for me.

i am in the real estate stuff...it's a convulated and often contorted arena...that's why we all see this real estate crash now with all the foreclosures...greedy bums, the builders, lenders and some of the homeowners, lol

I USED to be one of the people who sat in the office processing the orders and was paid fairly well...but it was torture on my body.

Now I'm still in that field, but on the bottom of totem pole...and in the field, lol. IE., outdoors. I'm one of those guys you sometimes see holding those flourescent poles ;) Of course, in this line of work...it's rare to find someone like me, and that is, not under the influence of various things.

I like it...no bad joints now. And I just like that I am paid when there is no work. Love those days :D

I put in my time in the carpet/yarn mills of Dalton, Ga. Ten years of 12 hour shifts. Depending on where I worked, I either worked 3-12s and a 6, or three days on, four days off, four days on, three days off. The seven years I worked doing 3.5-12s I work over on my nights off. For several years I didn't put in less then 60 hours a week... the people on th eother shift thought I belonged on their shift. :)

No way on earth I would do that now.

Jesus christ...

I can barely survive a 10 hour shift where I work (PetSmart). ESPECIALLY when its a slow day, there's just nothing to do but scrub tanks. And no matter what, 2 minutes before my shift is over someone will walk in and ask me to catch them 200 feeder goldfish.

working with my family business it's not uncommon for a 14 hr shift.....i once pulled a 17hr shift.....that was fun ^_^

Jesus christ...

I can barely survive a 10 hour shift where I work (PetSmart). ESPECIALLY when its a slow day, there's just nothing to do but scrub tanks. And no matter what, 2 minutes before my shift is over someone will walk in and ask me to catch them 200 feeder goldfish.

sounds liek when i go to close the kitchen, i sweep fill my mop bucket after ive doen all the cleanign and all the drunks decide hey hes closing lets order food so i get a good 10 order my kitchen is a mess again, and i never got to mop so i reclean everything then i sweep mp and leave, once the boss says i coverd everything. im doing another long shift monday with my father layign ceramics again, btu aparently our boss is buying us a nice new truck :) !!! and hel slowly take it out of our pays after he gets it, so we dont get killed on interest. alltho my father and him have probably been best friends for about 9 years now so there preaty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom