My Computer Problem!

Juno

Beta member
Messages
3
Hello, I'm new to these forums! I'm really looking forward to a friendly community!

Now that formalities are out of the way, my problem.

I am currently running a Gigabyte GA-VA7X1394 motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and 256 MB of DDR RAM, under Windows 98: Second Edition. I know it's old, but it serves me well. Anyway, I recently bought a new CPU Fan and Heatsink for my computer after my old Fan died on me. I had some trouble with removing the old Fan (there's no spot for the flathead screwdriver to pull it off, had to wrestle with it), but put in the new CPU Fan with ease. Now comes my problem...

After I plugged in the power supply, it made a spark. I blew it off, but when I turned on the computer, it began running, then shut off about 4 seconds after I turned it on. I keep turning it on, same results. It seems to be that when it's about to finish POST, it stops. I don't know what to do!

I've tried a new power supply. No luck. Different processor? No. My last thought was the motherboard, but I used a magnetic screwdriver on the motherboard while I was removing the old CPU Fan, and it may magnetize it to where the power supply may get confused with voltage output(?). About an hour ago (12:30 AM PST), I put it on some cardboard, hoping that the magnetism may decipate, but right now, I'm running out of solutions. My next step, if this doesn't work, is to attain a new motherboard, but waiting for U.S. Marine Corps Basic Training on November 1st, money is a little tight as I'm about to quit my job and prepare for it.

What could be the problem? If it involves spending a little money, exactly how much? Thanks in advance!
 

airiox

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,692
To me it sounds like you CPU is overheating. Make sure you have thermal paste applied directly to the die of the processor and the you heatsink in properly seated and contacting the die.

Remove the fan and make sure. If you dont have any thermal paste visit a local computer store. You can get some for very cheap. Like a dollar or so. Use something (i use a razor blade) to cleany apply the paste to the die. But the heatsink back on. Making sure its in the right direction and that it properly contacts the die.
 

Juno

Beta member
Messages
3
Make sure the processor is in properly. Try your old processor in it?
I've tried two processors, my old Athlon 1800+ and my friend's 1400+. There is no difference with the results.



well if the power suppy, made a spark it may of fryed you mobo;and god knows what else.
The lights are working on the motherboard, so I doubt it's fried. It just dies after what seems to be the end of the POST cycle.

To me it sounds like you CPU is overheating. Make sure you have thermal paste applied directly to the die of the processor and the you heatsink in properly seated and contacting the die.

To me it sounds like you CPU is overheating. Make sure you have thermal paste applied directly to the die of the processor and the you heatsink in properly seated and contacting the die.
I'll try this with my friend's Athlon. I took a look at the old CPU Fan and Heatsink and it had this dark-colored paste on the bottom of the Heatsink. Could that be the thermal paste?
 

CoMpUtaFrEek

Fully Optimized
Messages
1,765
Sounds like you might have pulled out one of the tiny wires from the case to the mobo (bottom right) check that out.

Otherwise it might be your graphics card..

Ummm... Just swap out different components lol, these problems are anoying.
 

alvino

Golden Master
Messages
19,967
if its hard to take off the heatsink, try running your comp and right after you shut it off, unplugged it, take it off. if theres resistance, twist it side to side, and before you reapply, scrape off the old thermal grease with a razor blade, while being careful not to scrape into the cpu die. :)
 

Juno

Beta member
Messages
3
I've fixed the problem. Looks like the I put in the heatsink backwards. How dumb am I? Real dumb. XD

Thank you everyone for your help. ^^
 
Top