My computer is weaker than I thought? Cant play Skyrim at high settings :/

fishstix

Solid State Member
Hi all. I'm having some problems trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with my rig.

I built it 2 years ago and the specifications will be listed at the end. Ive been trying to play skyrim today at high/ultra settings but it seems like my pc isnt having it. I figure my video cards should be able to handle the game at those levels though. If i try to put the settings to high/ultra the game starts to get choppy but thats not even the end of it. When i attempt oc the video cards ill get some lines and blips while im playing the game. Skyrim recommends a video card with no less than 1gb of memory but obviously the 4890's xfire exceeds that so it seems like things arent adding up...

Specifications:
intel core i7 920
asus p6t v2 deluxe
2x radeon hd 4890's
3x platinum corsair 2gb ram tri channel (6gb)
windows 7 64 bit
rosewill 750w supply

am i mistaken? is my pc weaker than i thought?

Considering the GeForce GTX 580's and 590's have a hard time with the game, you're asking too much with dual 4890's

HARDOCP - Skyrim: Performance and IQ - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Performance & IQ Preview

Your CPU is also starting to fall behind the power curve, it's a great chip, but you might want to consider overclocking it and getting a faster GPU if you want to run those kinds of settings on Skyrim.

Also, the game JUST came out and the Internet is on fire with all kinds of folks having the same kinds of issues. You're not alone, but I do think you're asking a bit much out of your system. It also depends on the resolution you're gaming at as well.

thanks for the reply. It just seemed a bit odd that the game detected that the pc can handle high settings yet it's super choppy. Especially after i just finished playing BF3 high settings. I guess i could overclock my cpu so i can get a bit more out of the game.

Im still tripping off of the fact that when i try to overclock my GPU, i get these lines and blips on the screen. Is that a sign of a power supply failure?

the lines that you talk about on overclocking, is you graphics cards getting push past there limits, if you kept running it like that your gpu drivers would stop responding, or your computer would blue screen
has happened to me a few time on benchmarking at high overclocks on my gpu's

the lines that you talk about on overclocking, is you graphics cards getting push past there limits, if you kept running it like that your gpu drivers would stop responding, or your computer would blue screen
has happened to me a few time on benchmarking at high overclocks on my gpu's

i can definitely understand that. But at the same time the lines appear with really minute overclocked settings...im talking like even if i overclock it to +10mhz more than factory i get those lines. Could it be a temperature issue? I can see if i was overclocking to the max but thats not the case here. I went to a website which said that my gpu memory was 744mb when each card has 1gb of memory.

it really could be anything due to the limits of the cards, are they really thing lines or thick lines ?

go down and read this, this is other people's comments on the game requirements:
Go all the way to october
Skyrim system requirements - Skyrim Portal

this vids booming with the game

Skyrim Gameplay - Let's Play Skyrim Part 1 (1080P) (The Elder Scrolls 5 V) - YouTube

look at the comments.. every second lol , never heard of this game, seems massive, is it online?>

Naw it isnt online. Oblivion is a very popular RPG. Especially for the pc and the 5th installment of the series was just released today.

it really could be anything due to the limits of the cards, are they really thing lines or thick lines ?

they are rather thin ghostlinea that pop up during gameplay. I guess ill try the autotune feature in control center and see what I get. It's just ive seen the exact cards that i have pushed to their max no problem. I know every card is difference but geez this is a little unsettling.

that's Artifacting. You need to either update your drivers or stop overclocking them. The 4890 is essentially a higher clocked version of the 4870 already, so I'm not at all surprised if you're having problems. They made some improvements to the core over the original 4870 design, but it's still essentially a higher clocked 4870.

It also doesn't hurt to take the cards out, and dust them off, just in case. If you're comfortable, take the fan shrouds off and blow out any dust buildup under them as well.

Back
Top Bottom