My Car Has Dents!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric1

In Runtime
Ok so I have a few dents in my 1991 Eagle Talon TSI, a couple of medium size dents and various hail damage. I was trying to find a solution to repair the dents without going to a body shop$$$.

I have researched different methods ranging from dry ice, suction cups, and even Pops-A-Dent. The question is do any of these products actually work?

Could someone here recommend a cheap solution to fixing car dents? or if any of you guys used one of the previously stated products could you recommend one of them?

Thanks.

there are methods involving heating and cooling that exploit expansion and contraction to pop out dents. however they don't always work and have the potential to damage paint. how large is a "medium" size dent (metric would be appreciated :p)? i heard that the cooling/heating ones are good for hail dents. personally i've never tried it but i have seen videos on the net.

This all depends on how big the dent is, if it has any creasing in it and where its located. The heat/cool method usually wont work on anything more than a small hail ding that has no creasing. Your best bet is to go to a paintless dent removal place. Although on a car with 17 year old paint, you are probably better off just taking it to maaco and getting it fixed and resprayed.

This all depends on how big the dent is, if it has any creasing in it and where its located. The heat/cool method usually wont work on anything more than a small hail ding that has no creasing. Your best bet is to go to a paintless dent removal place. Although on a car with 17 year old paint, you are probably better off just taking it to maaco and getting it fixed and resprayed.

There's the key point right there. If you have any creasing with the dent, you need body work. Paintless dent removal is for dents with no creases. They either use the heat/cold method or some form of suction.

There's the key point right there. If you have any creasing with the dent, you need body work. Paintless dent removal is for dents with no creases. They either use the heat/cold method or some form of suction.

Not always true. I know some very talented PDR guys that get out creases and much worse using their many steel rod forming tools. You would be amazed at what an experienced PDR tech is capable of.

Its not always cheap but way cheaper that what a bodyshop would charge you.

There are no creases in these dents. The dents I have are not too bad either. The biggest dent I have is in the fender and it looks like if I used something with suction I could probably bend it back out. Also the medium size dent I have is about the size of a regular grapefruit.

Fibreglass is Fibres, of glass, held together in a resin i beleive.

Can you bend glass, well actually you can. Can you den't it.. uhm, no, but if theres lots of small fibres in a plastic resin. They could bend into a dent shape. Im not sure, i'll go hit a hammer against my bath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom