My Bright Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So about 4 years ago I came up with an idea for a MMORPG.

I have worked on it a bit but really don't have a lot of it done, my original goal was to have a playable Beta by 2012. This is not going to happen on my own.

I had a car wreak, which took out a lot of my information, in fact all digital media was on a laptop that became corrupted, the backup CD's went missing (I suspect my ex-room mate had something to do with this) and I am back to pen/paper planning.

So. It is time to leak some data on the idea, and find out if anyone wants to help, and more importantly, if anyone would be interested in playing.

NOTICE:
If you steal my idea, do it well, and give me SOME credit.

80% of today's teen and low 20's are addicted to WOW. These are staggering numbers when you consider they pay at least 10/month to play.

Using the Unreal Engine, or similar High Graphics, Physix type engine- I wanted to make another "WOW Like" game.

The setting is more on the lines of my favorite game series, Fallout, Post Nuclear Survival, however with some serious twists.

The Great War had unforeseen side effects, such as random mutations (Giant creatures, giant spider, giant scorpion, etc) as well as Fusion Mutations (Squirrel + Bunny, etc) to account for the "monsters" in the game, if the radiation wasn't enough (plagued lands still flowing with radiation and radiation emitting monsters, poisonous plants/water/etc) there is another thing to consider.

During the great war a weapon was devised, but never tested, before it's unleashing. The side effects would prove most devastating (it ended the war) However... those it did not kill immediately, built up an unusual set of symptoms, and died later, only to rise again... "Zombies and Undead kin"

Those that were only barely in contact with the biological weapon showed similar symptoms 20+ years down the line, and have developed there own Race due to how they must survive. Mutation with the biological weapon have caused a need for plasma and other sufficiant life supporting needs, and their bodies are no longer capable of creating it on their own, so they must ingest it from other sources - "Vampires"

Humans that were lucky enough to be far enough away from contamination zones and radioactive blasts formed there own alliance, humans are technologically superior in this matter and can have all sorts of weapons and armor, more then any other.

The set up is rather simple, classes exist in both playable sides (no you cannot be a zombie to start) where the Vampires use medium grade tech and some "Magical Abilities" the humans get balanced by the ability to use full sets of "plate mail" and heavy weapons such as "mini guns"

Vehicles also exist, and most are customizable.

The world is set up where towns are the only place you can see Non Party members, like in Guild Wars, although certain skills may allow you to join someone if you follow them into quests. (for those playing assassins and such)

The game was meant to be heavily skill based and heavy survival base, the human towns are attacked daily by zombies where the Vampires (and off breeds) are not very welcome in the human towns, and vice versa, so Vampires have it harder in life, trying to survive in ruined cities and underground settlements.

Gathering of resources is key for enhancements, and your own "house" would be available, although only to paying members. Houses provide a save haven to store gear, hang out with friends and hopefully if I could get things working, Voice Communication in private.

I wanted Voice Com for Party members at least, as this would be an aweseome built in feature no other MMORPG has, and possibly a Guild Chat as well, with of course the ability to MUTE anyone you don't want to hear.

Weapons would be balanced according to difficulty to use (a common hand gun anyone can fire, decently well) and the Ammunition type (a common hand gun with Titanium AP bullets would do more damage then "common" ammo, in the extreme cases, Depleted Uranium shots would do the most damage.) Most ammunition is basic, not based on caliber, so "hand gun ammo" works on all handguns, where as "rifle ammo" works on all rifles, so it's not hard to get ammo- but its HARD to get RARE ammo.]

Arrows, crossbows, and other "primitive ranged weapons" would exist, but would be extremely wide ranged, for example, you could make your own "long bow" however it would be very basic wood construction, have bad durability, and do bad base damage, buying a "composite crossbow" or finding one from a store would do more damage just based on the fact it was made professionally, your skill level also determines it's effect, if you max your skill, your "made it myself' bow would do more damage then "massively reproduced bows" from before the war, of the same type. In bows/crossbow cases, the arrows add damage, and again, better arrows are more damage. Crossbows have Bolts, not arrows. (and a "Railgun" would exist, as a crossbow, firing heated re-barb)

Customization/enhancements would exist for those with the Tinkering skills, allowing to add Scopes, increase ammo capacity, add silencers, or even just re-paint the thing to a custom color. (rare colors exist as well)

The game would start on a small patch not connected to the world- a good place to learn what your doing without being harassed by high levels. Level cap for this area would be under 10. If you hit 10+ you are forced to leave if you leave "town". On this you can scavenge for basic items, do starter quests to learn how you want to play yourself in the world, and even earn some basic starter weapons based on how you want to play.

To prevent massive abuse, you are also under a very strict Resources Limitation and Carry Limitations, so someone can't just make new chars all the time and end up with thousands of resources to sell or use in the "real world". about 1/10th normal.

If you want to be a thief, you can, however Towns will act accordingly to your bad deeds. If you want to be a blacksmith and not fight all the time, it is possible, but requires a lot more effort on your part.

Gathering resources will gain exp for those of "non combative" classes, such as Blacksmith. "Warriors" will not gain Exp for gathering resources, but can gain in stats just the same as anyone else. (Stats are like Strength, Dexterity, etc) This allows those that want to fight- to have to fight to level up, and those that want to craft- to gather supplies to level up. Harder to gather resources yield more Exp.

It's really rather simple once you have an idea and have drawn out some weapons/armor/monsters.

So, is anyone interested in this? Should I scrap this project? or would anyone like to assist in helping? (no testers please, I need to get working on the game, not have more people willing to do the easier parts)

I have to applaud your creativity my friend! This actually got me really excited because I'm a wow veteran of about 5 years so I know what makes WoW "tick" and I would love to help you battle the evil power "Blizzard".

My business side "Just about to receive my Bachelors in Business Management/Marketing" says you need to look at what demographic you are wanting to hit. I know you said teens to early 20 year olds but you really have to dig deep and see what makes them addicted to MMORPGs. The "escape" factor is most likely going to be your biggest goal. You need something that players can come back to on a day to day basis and not get bored. WoW has quests/dailies/pvp/raids/arena/professions/etc... It's never ending. It also has to be appealing to these people as far as characters and overall gameplay.

Business Plan: How would you market the game to your target demographic? ComicCons/local game stores/or go big time and present the plan to large companies? How are you going to fund the creation of the game? How many people do you want to have work with you? How much money will it take to get the game rolling into a testing stage? There are a lot of questions that are needed to be asked even before putting a pencil to a piece of paper. I know many people who have amazing ideas but never think out a business plan and they are stuck with what could be an amazing gem of a game.

Game Mechanics: So you are looking at a post apocalyptic warish type game with mutated creatures and Vampires Vs Humans struggle? This could be interesting. Here are some questions I have.

1. Level cap and average time to reach that level?
2. Number of zones in the world and how large would the world be?
3. Transportation/traveling methods?
4. Types of professions/skills and how would they be beneficial to each race?
5. Guild structure "social aspect"
6. Action bar like WoW or like Guild Wars or maybe a new idea?
7. Method of carrying items "bag slots"
8. Exact weapons to be used for each race/class
9. Types of classes for each race and different racial passives
10. Creature types and how would the encounters work (turn based or full speed encounter)
11. PvP based or more PvE based? Realm vs realm? (Wow/age of conan/WAR)?
12. Specific types of creatures in each zone. boss encounters?
13. Character customization (hair,eyes,face,height,stature,etc...)
14. Storyline for each race (to get people more immersed into the idea that they really are that character)
15. Auction house or post on forums and buy items?
16. Item drops from creatures/bosses? Level of rarity for items/armor?

That is all I can think of know but I am more than happy to help out with ideas and suggestions. I know the darker appeal of this type of game would draw a lot of people to it because anger/rage/hate are common feelings amongst teen boys and young men. I will keep up with this thread for sure because I think you have something here. Send me a private message with your AIM screen name and we can go over more stuff if you want. I know a lot of my WoW gamer friends keep playing just because there isn't anything else out there. I know a lot of LARP people who would love to play MMORPGs but they call it "too cartoonish". Good luck man and I look forward to hearing from ya.

1. Level cap and average time to reach that level?
99, average time to achieve it varies:
Casual players will probably take a year. These people get on 2 times or so a week.

Hard Players- pretty much the WOW crowd- 1=80 easily within a few months, the last levels requiring heavy RAID or other Epic system of achievement.

2. Number of zones in the world and how large would the world be?
Idea was to cut it up like WOW has, however, about 2x the size of WOW's world, part of the reason would be a possibility of having "player owned houses" - which would take up space.

3. Transportation/traveling methods?
By foot, by manual power(bike) , by animal, and in the high levels - with high skills- motorized vehicles (think small, Motorcycles and such)

4. Types of professions/skills and how would they be beneficial to each race?
Lots. Blacksmiths, Tinkerers, Herbalists, Scavengers, Tailors, Armor smiths, Mechanics - the list goes on. Mostly it will be up to the player how much they benefit the race, if the Humans have no "Farmer" types, obviously NPC food prices will skyrocket. I wanted to make a true-fully interactive game where what you do as a community effects everyone, within reason. Just because you try to sell a "mushroom" for the equivelent of $1,000 doesn't mean the NPC is going to boost it's prices to buy or sell those same "mushrooms"

5. Guild structure "social aspect"
yes guilds, guild wars, and even guild controlled property to defend/build on.

6. Action bar like WoW or like Guild Wars or maybe a new idea?
Hotkey idea for sure, WASD movement optional

7. Method of carrying items "bag slots"
Bags carry various slots like WOW, hoever, certain bags cannot carry certain things. Resource bags will carry scrap metal, wood, ores and such, but cannot carry weapons or armor. Bag size depends on bag types, and like WOW, you can craft/find "bigger bags" The original idea to create a weight limit got quickly squished by the amount of stuff a "Crafter" would be carrying. Vehicles/mounts would also have a "general purpose" bag to put anything in - but only 1 mount bag can be on at once. At the last I had figured 10 bag slots would fit into your "backpack" this seems a little "Unrealistic" for the games standards but since some will need to carry several stacks of "wood" or "seeds" to work up their skills , and each slot is planned to only carry "99", it seemed fair in the end.

8. Exact weapons to be used for each race/class
Weapons and Armor are more restricted by tech level, ideas of making it possible for a "Vampire" to wear "Platemail" have spun around, I believe I want this possible for those that wish it- at the cost of "turning human" and not having your bonus "blood abilities" at your disposal. The tech tree is still in the making and I don't quite have enough down to answer this fully.

9. Types of classes for each race and different racial passives
This has been tossed up a lot. My friends and I are debating making "classes" and "professions" the same thing (blacksmith, vs. warrior) and they would give a Base Bonus to certain skills pertaining to the type you pick, how you fight and what you use would be up to you, leaving "Hunters" able to use swords, axes, bows, katanas, rifles, shotguns and anything else the same that a "Warrior" could. We felt we really didn't want to generalize a persons abilities based on what they picked in the start of the game, but rather work skills up (and lower them as a Skill's limit exists) to play how you want to play, which may change daily for some. Passives have not been fully planned as we don't even have a standard to go by, being immune to anything will likely NOT exist however. Resistances to Physical damage, radiation, and "magics" are being looked at though.

10. Creature types and how would the encounters work (turn based or full speed encounter)
Creature types vary from "Insect" "Giant-" to standard "beast" type. And yes it would be possible to have a "Giant-Beast-Insect" creature, a Unique Monster, certain weapons would be better vs. certain types. For instance, bullets work well on Beasts, most of them don't have "armor" but against a Giant Scorpion - bullets would tend to do less damage, as the "creatures" carapace (shell) is like it's own armor. Encounters would be Live Combat, like WOW, Last Chaos, Shaiya, 12Sky 1 and 2, etc.

11. PvP based or more PvE based? Realm vs realm? (Wow/age of conan/WAR)?
Yes. Hehe. The game will be set up where if you WANT to PVP- have at it. However if you DON'T you will be able to Disable PVP (this will have to be done In Town though, same with enabling it) There will be some "contested territory" where you will HAVE to have PVP on to go into- however these lands are not "Storyline" or "Main Quest" related- they are merely places for Unique monsters, spawns, more resources and things of that nature. As mentioned, Guild Land would be available - however - this land would only be accesable to those in the guild, and those warring the guild and attacking (or defending) that guild. This got confusing fast- but we think we have it under control. The "Guild Land" would't exist in the world until someone goes to it- then it loads onto the Players PC - this will cut out anyone just "sitting in your base" before a war starts. Attackers would spawn on a far end of the land- which will have natural hazards as well as any traps the defenders have placed. -more to come-

12. Specific types of creatures in each zone. boss encounters?
Yes actually. There will be "hazard zones" where radiation is still very present and changing a lot of creatures, in here you will find Unique Monsters (like ones with names or Quests) Some can only exist in highly irradiated areas. The lands will vary in level and environments - things will be specific for the environment they exist- you won't find a Giant Desert Scorpion in Alaska for example.

13. Character customization (hair,eyes,face,height,stature,etc...)
This was one of the biggest things I focused on. I wanted there to be 2 types of character creation: 1_Quick Pick a face pick a hair pick a height and body shape and boom your in and then 2_ I want this to look exactly how I want her to. Change hair colors and lengths with insane amount of options (much like that of the Sims 2) for clothing and tatooes or piercings or scars.

14. Storyline for each race (to get people more immersed into the idea that they really are that character)
Vampires Strive for power, to be recognized as a new race in the world, and not treated as abominations. Humans strive to survive the new land they created and eliminate the threats that exist around them. IN a nutshell anyway.

15. Auction house or post on forums and buy items?
Definately an Auction house, I have seen too many games fail because the trade system blew and became too increasingly difficult to "turn a profit" to then turn into needed supplies.

16. Item drops from creatures/bosses? Level of rarity for items/armor?
Items from creatures will vary, beasts will generally not drop weaponry or armor- but supplies- a giant turtle would have a chance to leave it's shell- which could then be used to make a shield, or parts to a vehicle, or used to make other things like decorations. There will be a few rare instances where a "special type" of creature will drop a weapon directly. Items will have level requirements, as well as stat requirements to wear/use to prevent twinking. Boss type monsters will exist, mostly as a "RAID" type instance, and will drop goodies - however unlike WOW and other games- EVERYONE who actually hurt the monster will get a share of loot and a chance at a rare. This by no means will be an easy task, in fact, I plan to make all Boss Types require a party and be Non-Soloable. But even if you could do 100% damage to it, does not mean 100% chance to get a rare.

A little more insight, and you actually got me thinking some so hopefully more will come.

As of recently my team gave up and funds are out the Window. The project is looking pretty bleak right now. The recent economy pains didn't help any, there has been very little 'extra money' to put into something like this before the economy took a dive, so now there's pretty much none and it is on Pause again.

I still plan to finish it someday, however the hope of a 2012 Test is looking less and less likely, especially since I am now ... way behind schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom