My Apple vs. Microsoft view

Starr

Daemon Poster
This thread is not about who is better. So don't even start. This is what I think and I want to share it.
MODS feel free to lock if anything gets out of hand which it shouldn't because of the above statement.

Ok, here is what I think. Feel free to add on.

The Microsoft and Apple dispute has been going on for a long, long time. Let me give you a little background. Back in the day, when Microsoft was first founded they wrote software for two major vendors, IBM and Apple. They wrote OS's for IBM and applications for Apple. IBM made a great deal of money off of Microsoft but Microsoft made a great deal more. At the same time Microsoft's biggest competitor was a company that wrote a program called Visucalc. Which was a spread sheet based program. Microsoft countered and the dog fight began on the Apple system because that is where Visucalc was written on. At the beginning Visucalc was crushing Excel. Bill Gates got ticked off and came up with brilliant ways to make Excel unique. As Microsoft was embedded with writing Excel for Apple and MSDOS for IBM (it was a small company) the GUI system was evolved. Apple was the first to get their hands off of it. The developers for the GUI was Xerox. Apple wanted this software. Microsoft was unaware of this technology at the time. Apple seized the opportunity and hired some Xerox researchers. Well Microsoft programmers were hanging around Apple HQ and they got a peak into the GUI system. They told Gates and he loved it. So he hired some Xerox men for himself. Around this time though IBM was fed up with Microsoft, they thought they were taking to long. Microsoft couldn't push any faster for they were already pulling 20 hr. days with the programmers sleeping at the office. So IBM decided to work on its own OS. Microsoft said whatever they didn't need IBM because they already got rich off of them. IBM and Microsoft went their separate ways. IBM failed miserably.
Microsoft then decided that it was time to develop the GUI OS. They were experimenting with the software and they decided to do it. Apple did the same. Thus the birth of the Macintosh and Windows Operating. Bill Gates chose the name Windows because the GUI system showed “windows” onto the screen. The feud is on........
Fast Forward 25 years. Steve Jobs announces the switch to Intel. Why leave IBM? Well, Jobs' biggest beef with the Blue Giant is that they weren't producing a tri core CPU. But, wait a minute. Doesn't the Xbox 360 have 3 power PC tri core CPUs? It makes you wonder. Bill Gates had to know that Apples 10 year contract with IBM was coming to a close. Is Gates trying to lure Apple into the x86 architecture? Remember Gates is very competitive. Why have Apple make the switch? Well, think about it Gates doesn't have to waste anymore resources and programmers on applications for the Apple OS. Main reason? I think it is competition. Gates wants a face to face. That is why he hasn't tried to stop them. How does that benefit Microsoft. Well, for one the programmers have no fire. They don't work very hard. They frankly don't care. There going to be rich at the end of the day because they are still going to own over 90% of the market. They need something to compare their OS to. You can't really compare it to Linux because of the many distros. With Mac and Windows on the same platform people will begin to see which is more secure. Apple you say? What makes you think that? Where is the proof? Who hacks a Mac? That's right, no one. Why? Do you really think it is because they can't? No, it isn't they can. It is for two reasons. One, you won't do to much damage putting a worm on a Mac. Two, most script kiddies own Windows based machines, they hack what they own.
This is good for Microsoft. This will spark fire in a company that is fading. Look out how cool the Xbox is and how sweet the Xbox 360 is? They are fighting an uphill battle in the console market. They were the underdogs and they loved it. They were like the startup that they once were. The one thing that may douse this flame is that Jobs wants to limit the Mac OS to the Mac based hardware because after all they are a hardware company. But, like all things the encryption will be cracked. Then Apple will have to be a software company. Gates on the other hand is fully embracing this. They haven't announced any protection.
2006-2007 will be two of the more exciting years in technology that we have seen in a while. I can not wait.

Remember my opinion and mine alone, form your own if you do not agree.

Haha, that sounded a little sarcastic? :D I personally think this would have been better in the Social Lounge, it is going to turn into that, it is a very interesting piece of writing!

Have to agree with you on it all basically. Not much to talk about... It is much more fun to be an underdog and dream of being the best, than being the best, and not having anything to do.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Haha, that sounded a little sarcastic? :D I personally think this would have been better in the Social Lounge, it is going to turn into that, it is a very interesting piece of writing!

Have to agree with you on it all basically. Not much to talk about... It is much more fun to be an underdog and dream of being the best, than being the best, and not having anything to do.

I am glad you appreciate it.....

You left out the part when IBM wanted an O/S written for their machines and they went to Digital Research {DRDOS} and the DR idiots left the IBM guys sitting in the lobby for hours. So the IBM guys went to Redman and met with Gates. That was when MS was to become the premier O/S of the century. Digital Research really screwed up with their ego trip.

Back
Top Bottom