My Almost Finalized Build. $2000 USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry_W

In Runtime
OK. Thanks to you guys I have a build in the works now. :D

Sorry I can't provide linkage at the moment. My computer refuses to open Newegg.com. Too much spyware, worms, and viruses. :angry:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4400+/ Conroe E6600 if it's gonna be as cheap as they say it will.

Monitor: Viewsonic VX2025WM. Unless a baseball bat hits me in the face, this is what I'm going with.

GPU: EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO

PSU: Enermax Liberty 500W? Hipers are unreliable, or so I hear. Maybe an Antex Trupower 550W? I need some input here. A PSU for around $100.

Mobo: Asus A8N SLI/ Conroe Equivalent

RAM: 2 gigs G-Skill/ Conroe Equivalent(Conroe needs DDR2, right?)

Speakers: Logitech z5500 5.1 speakers. They speak for themselves. (Heh. Get it? Speakers? XD)

Mouse: Logitech MX518.

Keyboard: This I really need help on. I don't want a wireless or laptop-style keyboard, and the Saitek Eclipse is rumored to have keys whose paint comes off easily. That defeats the purpose of a keyboard. :freak:. Something up to $50 would be ok.

Case: The Coolermaster Centurion is ok; any other suggestions? I looked at the Coolermaster Stacker, but it's really big. I don't want a case with a door in the front that makes no sense. I want all the drives and everything to be visible.

HD: Western Digital Caviar 200 GB.

Sound card: XFi Xtreme Music, although I've heard about problems with hissing and crackling sounds with this. Is that true?

2 optical drives: Probably A BenQ or Samsung DVD burner (the Samsung has LS) and one CD/DVD reader pulled out of my current Dell. The only thing I'll be able to salvage from that pile of crap. :wooha:

Extras: Nice free software, card readers....games? The necessary stuff ;).

So, just to recap. I need some advice on a PSU, keyboard, and a case, and maybe someone with an XFi Xtreme Music can advise me on the hissing and crackling problem? Is it blown out of proportion?

Thank you,

Gerry

Both of those PSU's are great, i got the antec, but i hear enermax is one of the best too. either way, man.
we've got the same mouse too :) its sweeet, i love the on the fly resolution adjustment. it revolutionized my DoD:S playing.
I do believe that DDR2 is used by conroe, but dont quote me!
as far as the sound card goes, the hissing is probably cuz of bad connection.

i have an x-fi xtreme music and it sounds fantastic, no problems. i heard earlier versions came without a heatsink which lead to overheating but they all come with heatsinks now so they run cooler. i personally dont know why people spend so much more on fatality/pro versions (unless they need the connectivity) - im sure the x-ram is a gimmick.

OK. Thanks Cwiz and IfYouHaveToAsk. Are you saying an XFi Xtreme Music wouldn't help much with the sound compared to built-in sound? That's something to think on.....shows how much I know about this business. :D

psu's are both good....

If you gonna go amd you might as well go am2, as amd is droping the 939's from future models. The ASUS M2N-sli is the am2 equivalent.

Yeah conroe is calling for ddr2-800 I think. Think am2 is calling for ddr2-667. BTW since you said conroe and amd in the same thread I feel I have to warn you that your in danger of starting a flame war.

As for keyboard just go into a frys or whatever computer store is around and play around with a few keyboards, as so much about liking a keyboard is in the touch, not the look. I'd hate to recommend someone a keyboard and have them hate the feel of it.

Dude, you dont need to spend more than 5-15 dollars on a mouse and keyboard.

the pricier the more "flash" and "jargon" that you dont really need. Programmed buttons to your homepage that you'll never take time to configure and use?

Just get a decent 5-10 dollar optical mouse, and a keyboard thats sturdy and reliable.

Though I always thought it would be cool to have a keyboard that lit up blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom